11 thoughts on “Ride to ruin, and the world’s ending!”

1. Cannonkat says:

“we shall defend this island, whatever the cost may be – we shall never surrender!”

2. Chloe says:

Both! But Schneider is at 6.03

3. Chloe says:

Brilliant analogy! I will happily give their coats a quick brush down for them.

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in this day of battle…no we cannot win, but with the angels leading the charge we will reap the benefit of our holding their coats.

5. SJ Green says:

One of my most favorite scenes from this movie. Another possible real life parallel for Minas Tirith – Mont Saint Michel, near the border of Normandy and Brittany (minus the 50 ft. tides).

6. Chloe says:

Wonderful! I’ve just watched the extended version of ‘The Battle of Vienna’ with F Murray Abraham. Stirring stuff!

And if I may paraphrase Aragorn at the Black Gate

With apologies to Aragorn:

“Hold your ground! Hold your ground!

Sons of Rome, of Walsingham, my brothers,

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our religion and break all bonds of doctrine and of Faith, but it is NOT this day!

An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of the Church comes crashing down, BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY!!!

This day we FIGHT!! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, to Jesus Christ, Our Lord, to the Mother of God, to all the saints, I BID YOU STAND, MEN OF THE CATHOLIC FAITH!!!!

7. MrHenry says:

I don’t know if Tolkien based the siege of Gondor on the siege of Vienna, but the parallels can’t be coincidence in my opinion.

Coincidence or not, the scene is better if you imagine the orcs are Turks, Gondor is Vienna, and Theodan is King Sobieski.

8. What.Ever. says:

Yes! I also ALWAYS think of the clip when Aragorn says: “Ride out and meet them.” I love that. And if I may be permitted to mix movie metaphors, winter is coming…..

9. Chloe says:

The lines that stick with me are ‘if we meet them in battle we cannot win’. “No, we cannot. But we will meet them nonetheless”.

10. Randi Gordon says:

Now I have to watch the whole movie again. Thank you, Miss White!

11. PompousMaximus says:

Was that Kasper or Daneels at 0:25? Couldn’t make him out.