It’s Sunday! (and the world hasn’t ended yet…)

timthumb.php
Go to Mass!

Have lunch with friends after. Do a little gardening; I bet the leaves want raking.

Take a walk by the beach/in the park.

Read some Tolkien.

Maybe draw a picture.

Don’t worry, the asteroid will still be there when you get home.

13 thoughts on “It’s Sunday! (and the world hasn’t ended yet…)”

1. Ab illo bene dicáris says:

I go to a TLM and will fall back to Eastern liturgies in my city. I’m just wondering what happens when I have to go back to NO because I’m out of town.
    I’m thinking that you have to hear the Gospel read. So, I see a rosary and ear plugs as being okay since private devotions are not banned and as long as you pay attention to the readings. (In the TLM, private devotions are discouraged, as the page in my missal before the ordinary says in the form of a quote from St. Pius X.)
    One of those Irish rosary thingies… I need one.
    There are reverent NOs out there, but I’ve found the level of verbiage and talking from all quarters to be distracting.

Actually, I think that’s a pretty funny question. But to take it seriously for a second, I think that a lot of the requirement is that you get up, put your clothes on and leave the house, go to a Church and plant your bottom in the pew and stay there until it’s over. I have lived in two places in my life where I haven’t understood a word of the language spoken, and have attended NO Masses in both those places, successfully fulfilling my Sunday obligation each time, though not a single word got through to my brain. I have also attended Catholic Ukrainian, Cantonese, Maronite, Slovak and Coptic parishes that were all in languages I didn’t understand and rites with which I was completely unfamiliar… all validly approved by the Church and in complete fulfillment of my religious obligations. These days, if I have to go NO, I sit in the back and read my missal and the Mass of the day and pray. Fortunately, I go to Mass in Italy where there are nearly always very beautiful devotional art to use for meditation, and then when the Eucharist is confected, there’s ample opportunity to pray for reparation and make a spiritual communion. If you live in a large enough town, you might find some parish where you just can’t understand what anyone is saying. It sounds like an odd solution, but think about this: in the Middle Ages, there were plenty of regular people who knew no Latin at all, and the grace of the Mass fell on them, whether they understood what was being said or not. There have been deaf people as well as illiterate people, all gone to heaven.

3. Guest says:

But all the reading I’ve done shows that many physical works are disallowed in addition to servile work. For example, cleaning the house or washing the car was highly discouraged before VII in the catechisms. Liberal works of the mind, such as studying or reading books were permitted.

Guys, you’re being weird. “Servile work” in the Church means work for pay. Your job, in other words.

5. Ever mindful says:

Time to not turn over a new leaf…

6. Simon Platt says:

Gardening? Recreation!

7. Katherine says:

Not all of us find gardening, or even raking leaves, to be “servile” work. It can be a wholesome form of recreation.

Have you not discovered the kleenex trick? Just before the hated kiss of peace, get out a wad of kleenex and start hacking and coughing into it. Repels even the most persistent hand-shaker.

Thanks for saying this, I was just going to. All week in my neighbourhood we have blessed silence. On Saturdays every neighbour’s car returns from the shops laden with goodies. All day Sunday the same neighbourhood resounds with lawnmowers, power tools of all sorts, including machines that actually BLOW leaves around – My God, hast Thou not invented the rake? So I’m on board for no servile work on Sundays.

I think Miss White, who lives in a small town, and away from the hustle and bustle thinks of going out doors into the Italian Fall sunshine and communing with nature. Lovely picture, and not servile work at all. But for most of us Sunday is torture.

Almost forgot, All Praise and All Thanksgiving to Our King, Jesus Christ.

10. Carolann says:

Wow!. A poke in the side? Hubby and I at least get to sit in one of the side pews (which fits tree people at most) at the N.O. parish we attend. Unfortunately we lost a very reverent priest due to deteriorating health recently. It’s extremely hard to pray as there is virtually no silent moment during Mass.
    Lately, I find myself quietly vocalizing prayers of thanksgiving to Our Lord after having recieved Him because the music seems endless.

Oh Sacrament most Holy, Oh Sacrament Divine, All praise and all thanksgiving are every moment Thine !
    Viva Cristo Rey!

11. James C says:

And whatever you do, find a way to avoid Novus today. Not only is it still ‘Ordinary Time’, but you’ll find the Asteroid waiting for you inside the ‘worship space’.

I was traveling today and thus trapped. I had to endure Haugen’s Mass of Creation. At the Paternoster a woman tried to grab my hand and then poked me in the side when I did not respond. Now to recover. Viva Cristo Rey!

12. Carolyn C says:

Go to Mass, say the Rosary. And celebrate Christ the King. By the way, as Fr. Malachi Martin says the real threat is the loss of faith. “And will not God revenge his elect who cry to him day and night: and will he have patience in their regard? I say to you, that he will quickly revenge them. But yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth?”

13. Una Fides says:

I realize the post was in jest but gardening and raking leaves should not be done on Sundays. While the New Sabbath is not to be Judaized and was made for man, Church law strictly forbids servile work on Sunday’s and holy days except in cases of necessity. Please listen to this brief homily that explains in detail our Sunday obligation from the teachings of HMC: http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=fiAL2Gcpf6A&u=/watch?v%3DulwB7fotv0I%26feature%3Dem-subs_digest-g&g=scpIYUWei9ssHIMURxEOs4AisuThqBboKetqJFfuIyiJd1kg-EKNTFWr4EJWTRYwRt6TVVnCxXuHWQ_QKLs7Ea1MiPxPKj5dYSYYioWHo_3i7p-SY0JAMYg7BNhl7GaWgdhMNVyHn1iE7OfDNtlfqL-chFRIBXPQte1X1J7q

God bless you.