The Synod Effect

1690721_10103792017169042_5849278015494195032_n

“Wait! Where are you going? It’s only the half-time show!|

Alas, I can find no preliminary report on how many Catholics have fled from their parish churches, in the wake of the Synod, and taken refuge in churches administered by the FSSP, the ICK or the SSPX.

Of course, it’s early days. The month isn’t over yet. But I do wonder if anyone is counting.

27 thoughts on “The Synod Effect”

1. Ab illo bene dicáris says:

Obergefell sent me to the FSSP parish. The rest is just confirmation that I made the right decision.

2. Ab illo bene dicáris says:

Hey, that picture… is that the world’s biggest living Divine Mercy chaplet? Because if so, I would suggest easing back on the half-nekkid women. I don’t think Our Lord likes that kind of irony in regards to the chaplet.

3. Asbury Fox says:

These are not normal times. The Church is in her greatest crisis and apostasy. It is absolutely essential to church shop. You can’t count on a neighborhood parish like you could in the 1940’s or 50’s. Parishes and entire dioceses are in a total state of corruption.

4. Asbury Fox says:

Sedevacantism is an error and heresy. Vatican I stated there would be perpetual Popes. Either Bergoglio or Ratzinger is the Pope right now, but we do have a Pope. A Pope can be a heretic. He does not loose his office. Election to the papacy automatically removes and impediments that the elected man had before the election.

5. lwhite says:

That is like advising a child to sort out her Halloween candy into two piles. One where razors or poison are evident and the others are not going to harm or kill her but eat from both piles.

6. lwhite says:

In order to understand the profanation of the Blessed Sacrament in the NO, one would have to have lived as an adult or be an extremely informed minor prior to its implementation or through the grace of God, understand it isn’t Catholic.

7. ColdStanding says:

They now have one more Mass than before?

8. Samantha says:

I am in the US, in the Diocese of Paterson. My closest parish that offers the EF of Mass is in Pequannock, NJ. I live in Montague, NJ. My work schedule is random and requires weekends. That impedes my ability to attend this FSSP parish in Pequannock. I can understand Ann’s reasoning and perspective, but attending a parish that far away from my home is impossible with my current work schedule.

9. PompousMaximus says:

Samantha – Are you in the US? What diocese? Would love to encourage you. Currently I am driving about 4 hours round trip.
    Best decision of my life. I would highly recommend you to go for it! Be assured of my families prayers I will pray for a better schedule for you to make the trek.

10. PompousMaximus says:

We don’t personally have any room. Just a little car. It also seems that not a lot of families are opening to trying the Latin mass with us, yet. I emphasize yet.
    We are indeed getting a lot out of it. Listening to all sorts of instruction on the Old Mass and Michael Davies, Michael Matt, Vennari, Ferrara; all my best friends. Then of course we are assisting at a TLM and that has extraordinary benefits.
    But we are making it known we would like company.

11. Samantha says:

Nah, we all need a good kick in the butt once in a while. She’s right, and if I could go, I would. However, thanks to an inconvenient work schedule and the distance, my attending the Extraordinary Form is neigh impossible at the moment. God willing, someday that will change, but until then, all I can do is stick it out and pray.

12. Samantha says:

As a frequent reader of your blog, Ann, I appreciate the frank and sarcastic assessment. I would go, if I could, but I am impeded by an inconvenient work schedule. As such, I am unable to attend any parish that offers the Extraordinary form.

So, waiting it out and praying is my only option right now. I have no grudge against your words: in fact, they are welcome! We all need a good kick in the butt at times to remind us of the proper perspective.

Thank you Ann, for your wonderful writing and “no holds barred” commentary. I eagerly await your next post!

What about the good old car-pool to the FSSP?

14. Carolyn C says:

Let me assure after spending two years praying, reading, and seeking out answers, the SSPX is where you should go. Once you learn and become more exposed to the true teachings and what happened at Vatican II, you will find that the SSPX is where the Church has been all along. It is very difficult in the beginning to understand this. But trust me, as someone who spent their entire life (Catholic Schools, Catholic colleges, teaching CCD) you will be blown away by the beauty and truth at the SSPX. You ask a question and you get a straight answer. Their masses are valid, their confessions are valid. Go directly to the SSPX and you will find a humble and holy priest who will guide you. Trust me, Our Lady will guide you and you will find your home. And with all due respect to the other commentator, there is no need to attend two masses. The only benefit in attending the Novus Ordo immediately followed by the Traditional Mass is that you will see they are completely two different forms of worship. The SSPX is not schismatic! They hold all the truths of the Catholic faith. The SSPX rejects the errors of Vatican II and will resist the promoters of Vatican II as they should. Here’s one of the biggest differences between SSPX and the New Church — Sanctifying Grace — ask a typical Catholic what Sanctifying Grace is and how they get it. Priests in Novus Ordo do not speak of Grace and this is sad because you cannot get into heaven without it.

15. Drew says:

That photo might lead some of us into trouble…

16. HRpuffinstuff says:

Ann, I really enjoy your writing, but absent an understanding of Samantha’s situation, your sarcasm isn’t exactly charitable.

17. Martha says:

Burn, Ann. You really don’t hold any punches. Good point, though. Perspective!

When our ‘local’ TLM doesn’t work out and we have to make the 90 minute trip (one way) to the next closest one, we try to make it easier for our 8 kids by having a meal out afterwards as a treat. Make a day of it, Samantha; it could be a great way to keep your Sunday special.

18. Guest says:

I embraced sedevacantism last week. There are a lot of things I don’t know, but what I do know is that Bergoglio is a heretic and that heretic lose their jurisdiction ipso facto. I also know that Ratzinger subscribed to heresies before his election. No one wants to admit the facts because there is a stigma that sedevacantism is schism. I can no longer in good conscience attend a mass that says his name in the canon.

19. Ann Barnhardt says:

90 minutes? Wow. That’s almost as long as it took Our Blessed Lord and Savior to carry His cross to Calvary where He died in agony for your sins.
    But you’re right. You should totally wait for something to come within a “reasonable” distance.

20. Dorothy says:

Go to both. Two Masses a Sunday won’t kill you. Receive at the NO, and don’t receive from the SSPX.

If only it were true. But I fear that since the 1960s, the profanation of the Blessed Sacrament is the norm in most parishes, and 99% of the Catholics of the world will not notice.

22. vixpervenit says:

I attend my local NO Mass because the priest has a reverential attitude to the Sacrifice and a biretta. Of course the sanctuary is swarming with laity and girl altar boys…

However, I am a sedevacantist. Bergoglio is a freemason and so isn’t even a Catholic. There have been bad popes and anti-popes before, but Bergoglio is actively working, openly, for the destruction of the Church. And people do nothing.

I pray daily that the faithful cardinals will defenestrate this guy for his affronts to the bride of Christ.

23. antigon says:

Meanwhile fine piece at CWReport Mrs. McLean, tho we still want names.

24. Two2trees says:

If the confection of the Eucharist is valid yet, and as long as it is, are we not bound, as awful as it is, like John to stand on Golgotha to be with Him — wanting desperately to run, but owing Him our presence?

25. Michael says:

I am having this argument with myself about this very issue. I happened to attend a meeting at my parish where we were invited to give feedback about the new pastoral plan. The Big New Concept in the pastoral plan is “inclusivity”. I said at the meeting that I understood this word to be a cultural code word to mean “homosexuality”, and asked, “would we be willing to be “inclusive” toward our local EF mass group?…crickets…silence…people looking at some indefinite point in the air just above their shoes and about three to four feet out in front of them. I wonder if they know that they convict themselves of hypocrisy (no, really? I am still stupid enough to wonder about such things).
    I really do wonder what they are thinking and what their actual motives are

26. Maggie says:

Not running away yet. Working hard in my parish with programs and adoration. Doing what I can to bring souls closer to Jesus and Mary. Luckily have faithful priests, one is even a passionate lover of God! Speaking of God, watch for His intervention in the next few years.

27. Gladstone says:

When the profanations of Holy Matrimony get under way, things should get interesting.