Things popes say

19th century ---  by Lembach --- Image by © Archivo Iconografico, S.A./CORBIS

19th century — by Lembach — Image by © Archivo Iconografico, S.A./CORBIS

“It is necessary not only that religious instructions be given to the young at fixed times, but also that every other subject taught be permeated with Christian piety. If this is wanting, if this sacred atmosphere does not pervade and warm the hearts of masters and scholars alike, little good can be expected from any kind of learning, and considerable harm will often by the consequence.”
Pope Leo XIII, Militantis Ecclesia

Things popes don’t say…

Christian education is not only teaching catechism and proselytizing. Never proselytize in schools. Christian education is bringing up the young in complete reality with human values and one of these [values] is transcendence. Today there is a tendency to neo-positivism, which is education in immanent things, in countries of Christian tradition as well as those of pagan tradition. We are closed to transcendence but closure is of no use in education.”
Pope Francis to participants at the World Congress on Catholic Education.

12 thoughts on “Things popes say”

1. Michael Leggett says:

Pope Francis has the Clarity of Vatican II-NONE.

2. Two2trees says:

That wouldn’t be so bad.

3. Two2trees says:

That is eye opening.

I was going to say Mother Teresa but then the political stuff was too coherent. Then I googled it, and now I am unsurprised.

5. Aloysius Gonzaga says:

What did we do to deserve this Papacy? Do you think it is possible for the Church to ever recover from Francis’ hatred of Catholicism?

6. Josh Himself says:

“We can’t bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell ’em stories that don’t go anywhere – like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ’em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you’d say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones…”

7. Guest says:

Can you guess who said these things?

“If I were born a Muslim, I believe that I would have always stayed a good Muslim, faithful to my religion.”

“…I am happy to be here, even though there may be some present who do not call themselves Christians, but who can be acknowledged as such because of their good deeds.”

“Catholics and Orthodox are not enemies, but brothers. We have the same faith; we share the same sacraments, and especially the Eucharist. We are divided by some disagreements concerning the divine constitution of the Church of Jesus Christ. The persons who were the cause of these disagreements have been dead for centuries. Let us abandon the old disputes and, each in his own domain, let us work to make our brothers good, by giving them good example. Later on, though traveling along different paths, we shall achieve union among the churches to form together the true and unique Church of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

“I see no reason why a Christian could not vote for a Marxist if he finds the latter to be more fit to follow such a political line and historical destiny.”

It’s not the person who most of you are thinking it is.

I think it’s really mean of you to make fun of someone who is obviously ill. Poor man. How would you like it if you were quoted last week when you had your bad flu? You must have rambled, you must have spouted feverish blather…after all Francis is old, he’s got bad feet, he can’t kneel, so he must have one foot at least in the grave. Might there not be a little hardening of the arteries in the brain? And he’s only got one working lung! You are going to hear from the tightly-knit one-lung community!

And here you are putting up these sick ramblings up for all to see. Is there no mercy?

9. Cesare says:

So much of what he says (like this passage, for example) is totally incomprehensible to me. It’s as if they elected Abe Simpson pope.

10. thetimman says:

It isn’t merely that Francis’ words stand opposed to Leo’s. It is that they are incomprehensible newchurchspeak.

11. A. Christian says:

Being an educator myself I have a little experience with this. My Pastor said this very thing at the beginning of the year to a potential family coming from the “baptist” tradition. He assured the family “We don’t ever try to convert the kids, so don’t worry.”

I disagreed and stated the truth is the truth and we should allow the student to decide for themselves.

I mean if everything is equal ecumenically speaking then the street goes both ways to and from Rome right?

Hypocrites and hippies, all of them……

Anybody looking for a Principal?

12. Georgianne says:

I will take the words of Pope Leo XIII to heart.
    I will take the words of Francis to the trash bin.