Slowing down

frodoreads020830a

I’ve decided for the time being not to renew my internet at home. It’s been off for a day or so, and home has been wonderfully peaceful. I’ve discovered that I have a whole library of books I’ve not looked at in ages, many of which I’ve never read at all or only dipped into superficially.

This means, of course, that we will no longer be having daily posts here. I’ve been thinking of shutting it all down soon, either way. It’s been pretty fun, of course, and a great outlet for venting and snark, but those things can pall after a while and one can’t live on them. The extension of this past the end of the Synod was more of an experiment, and I think we’ve had a bit of fun, but now I think we should probably all go do something else. I’m thinking of coming down the hill to use the public internet two or three times a week. So, that’s how often I think we can expect things to appear here for the next while.

Also, through October and most of November – the Synod and its aftermath – I really just didn’t get any paid work done. Readers were generous enough with donations during the Synod that the expenses were covered, (and a huge shout-out to everyone who donated! Thank you!) but it’s time to get back to actual work. Posting every day can be surprisingly time consuming.

Also-also, the plain fact is that I’m not going to get any faster or better at painting unless I do it as much as I do this. There’s only so many hours in the day, and you have to pick what you’re going to do in them.

The other day in a chat with our buddy Steve Skojec, we agreed that the point of no return has been reached in the Church, and it is difficult to see the value of railing at it all. Whatever is going to happen next is just going to happen. I know better than most how hard it can be to tear your attention away from that big flaming rock hurtling towards us out of the sky. But think about it for a moment. If there were a catastrophe coming, and you knew it, which would you think was a better way to spend your last hours? Staring at the rock, or living your life?

As Steve said, “Because… what’s the point?”

There are other things we could all be doing to greater profit than starting at the rock; going for walks, playing with the kitties, sampling the local wines, chopping wood, raking the garden, reading books, going to the Office, painting, learning more Italian, gazing into the fire… In fact, pretty much anything… staring off into space … would be more profitable than looking at the damned innernet every day.

Today I spent the morning reading, without distraction, without my brain jumping all over the place like a sand-flea with ADD. It was … pleasant.

Lately my relationship with books has really suffered. I have an exceptionally good collection; literature, classics, essays, poetry, history, math and science, nature, cookery and all conceivable combinations of these. And every day, while I sit with the little rectangular Palantir on my lap, they look at me with a silent and poignant reproach. “You used to love us…” It’s heartbreaking.

So, we will see how it goes. I have a few posts ready to go here, and Ann is still threatening the world with her final revelations, so perhaps we will wind down, but in grand style.

13 thoughts on “Slowing down”

1. Bendys says:

Illumination = New Age

2. Heloisa Hodierna says:

I agree. Now I know there are plenty of others in the same situation as I am, everything looks a little easier ….and even rosier. I thought it was me becoming neurotic. Glad to read I’m not alone! Thanks also, Hilary, for picking up my initial post on the Remnant. I was feeling incredibly isolated.

3. Martha Garuccio says:

I’ve just found you through Ann, but respect your comments about where to spend your last days. God Bless you. I hope you leave the site up so that I can read all the snarky articles and get good ideas on how to retort to the evil people I deal with from time to time.

4. Remnant Clergy says:

Get ready to teach the faith to billions. The Warning, the 6th Seal in the Bible, will occur within the next couple of years, no later than 100 years (Pope Leo XIII vision) from the anniversary of Fatima, the same year that atheism became an official government (Russian communism). The Illumination of conscience will be the reason for mass conversions. My own interpretation of various prophecy indicates likely May 2016.

5. Michael says:

Hmmm…I can’t lay any claim to your time, or your sanity but….I want to thank you for what you’ve done here. Some of us are pretty alone out here in our “bleak outposts” (remember Jacques Cousteau?). I need people like you to confirm to me that I am not crazy. I am like a guy whose lost his contact lens in the middle of a Rolling Stone 50th anniversary reunion concert and is crawling around the floor by himself, and someone like you shows up with a flashlight. I don’t read the blogs to watch the comet but instead to satisfy my need for truth. Certainly the truth will be the truth even if I’m the only one left to believe it, but when there is no fellowship then there’s no quest.
    Your life sounds pretty awesome by the way. Whatever you do you have my eternal gratitude

6. Randi Gordon says:

Are you referring to such acts as kissing a Koran, perhaps?

Hilary, we will pray for you, there in Norcia. Visited that lovely place last spring and it’s kind of neat to picture you there. God bless you.

8. Randi Gordon says:

I hope you enjoy your well-earned peace, Hilary. I appreciate the comment about the rectangular Palantir. I agree with what you say. Now that we know the sky is indeed falling, it is more beneficial for us and our loved ones to get back to the business of daily life here on the ground. For my own self, that means whole-heartedly endeavoring to give my children a solid Catholic home education, and living a prayerful and productive life, among other things. I cannot do anything to change the trajectory of the Church, but I have a great deal of influence over my own family. Still, it emboldens me to know that there are many other devout Catholics, such as yourself and Steve Skojec and Ann Barnhardt (and many others!), who have given us quiet, unknown folks a good example for how to prepare and face what is coming. Daily, I find myself perusing great traditional Catholic blogs and websites, including The Remnant and Rorate Caeli, for inspiration and wisdom and encouragement. Thank you for all of your contributions, Hilary. I very often read your articles or blog posts out loud to my family for the sake of discussion. Whether or not you continue blogging here, you will remain in my thoughts and prayers. May God bless you abundantly.

9. Elizabeth says:

It’s been grand, this site and all the work you and others have put into it. Coincidentally, I’ve had the same nagging thought about me and my home computer/internet. What would I DO if I didn’t have this outlet since I’m stuck at home disabled? Well, I can walk to my library and use their computers once or twice a week, like you mentioned. Thanks for your words. It may be just what the doctor ordered for me too. Happy Thanksgiving!

10. GW says:

“my brain jumping all over the place like a sand-flea with ADD. ”
    A perfect description of the digital age.

11. rosearbor says:

Don’t forget music…I’ve been listening to polyphony…have found that sacred music does wonders for me. It’s like receiving a transfusion of healthy blood. And sometimes I can imagine that every beautiful note is a little irritant to the evil one 🙂

12. Guest says:

I do think that people should be aware about how the Vatican II church is an instrument of freemasonry. I wish people that more people were aware of the fact that the very things they condemn Francis for his predecessors have done. Rightly they reject Francis as a heretic but they don’t apply the same reasons to the other Vatican II popes. People think that they’re following the keys of Peter when they’re marching under the banner of free masonry. For goodness sake, people are under pain of mortal to accept as a saint a man who committed what would be taken as public acts of apostasy in pre-Vatican II times.

13. A. Christian says:

Completely understand. Sad. But completely understand. We could all use a bit more time for formation and leisure.