Happy Star Wars Day, America!

I saw it in Rome on Wednesday, and … I don’t know how to convey this adequately, except to quote the one guy in the audience at the end

“That was ____ing AWESOME!!!”

I got on a VERY early bus from home on Wednesday morning, got to the City by ten, we took a cab to the (ridiculously tiny and out-of-the-way) theatre for the first afternoon show. I was almost bouncing up and down in the seat of the cab like a six year old kid in anticipation. We settled into our seats and the endless stream of cheesy adverts were agony.

Then the lights dimmed, and …

We were BACK.

The long wait, since 1983, was finally over.

The lady sitting next to us (Italian) and the friend I went with cried. I cried. We knew we were back.

I can’t tell you how great it was to be back on the Falcon.

When it was over, we went out the side exit, walked around to the front of the theatre and went right back in again for the next show. Haven’t done that since the first time I saw Raiders. Seriously.

I won’t give anything more away, but to say that the prequelsthatshallnotbenamed weren’t even referenced. It’s like it was all a bad dream that you can’t quite remember when you wake up.

Enjoy yourselves, nerds. Take a day off. Spend a few hours today and have some fun; just forget about everything else.

The dark days are over. The Force Awakens.

9 thoughts on “Happy Star Wars Day, America!”

1. Andy says:

100% agree.. Took the family to watch it. Going again with my 14 and 12 yr old. I couldn’t formulate a complete and coherent sentence after leaving…. I felt like stepped back into time when I was 6 watching A New Hope.

2. James C says:

Uh-oh, l’Osservatore Romano hates the film. I guess that’s it… https://www.yahoo.com/tech/vatican-newspaper-slams-star-wars-force-awakens-review-121527786.html

3. James C says:

I’ve never seen Girls, so for me he’s the White House telegraph operator having a late-night heart-to-heart with Daniel Day-Lewis in “Lincoln”. It works.

4. FranklinWasRight says:

Better than the prequels by far, but in order for me to put up with Manicheism, I need to not look at the creepy guy from Girls. He should have kept the mask on.

And the next morning, after I hit the English language book store and the art supplies shop, I got right the heck back on the train and got outta there. Rome is a pest-hole full of morlocks and orcs.

6. James says:

Saw it today. Seriously I wish I had taken some pain reliever beforehand because my grin-muscles are now aching!

I’m too young to have seen the originals originally. My point of reference is the 1997 re-release, when I finally had a chance to see them, and at the right age. Immediately afterward I got my hands on old videocassettes of the non-special editions and wore them right out.

After the pain of the intervening years, now almost all is forgiven!

I like the new girl. A lot.

7. GW says:

Vatican Council, Episode III, the Undoing?

8. Edison Frisbee says:

Of all the reasons to go to Rome….. : )

9. Johannes says:

There’s an article to be written about how creeping Novusordoism could already be seen in Return of the Jedi, just like we could see some in the reign of Pius XII (Bugnini’s Easter week reforms, etc.). Then the horror of the prequels have an obvious parallel in the Church. Now we need a director (a Pope) who will take us back to the traditional ways and, like episodes 7 and onwards, hardly even reference the silliness that happened during the bad days. The only problem is nowadays we have so many ecclesial equivalents of Jar-Jar Binks fans…