I’m not bad, I’m just drawn that way

Aaaawww… Dave. That’s so sweet…

The poor guy has a crush on me, obviously. I think this is the second or third time he’s sent me a personal love-letter and posted it to the innernet. And he keeps making up these cute pet names, just for me.

It’s so hard to let them down, especially on Valentine’s Day.

It happens a lot, actually. I guess there’s a lot of lonely people out there in innernet land.

Here’s a few fun cartoons to cheer you up, and to show that love’s tough all over…

Happy Valentine’s Day, lonelyhearts!

24 thoughts on “I’m not bad, I’m just drawn that way”

1. Petertar says:

AA’s vs. PE’s – Viva La Difference! Box Printing 锘?a href=”http://printing-in-china.net/”>printing services The big news since last Friday was the unemployment report. ,FedEx Kinko鈥檚 Makes 鈥楶urple Promise鈥?To Transform Itself; COO Brian Philips Reports the Process is Well Under Way
    There can be a trend among printers to try and become marketing companies. Some people think that printing is usually a dying profession in case you in turn become a subscriber list marketing company, you may get work that will command a larger margin. Many printers are changing their name to incorporate “marketing” or “solutions” and so they are dropping the saying “printing” from into their title. They believe the name change will get more lucrative printing work. ,Paper Gift printing solutions
    printing-in-china.net

2. phlogiston says:

And now he’s blocked me completely! I have to say, I don’t see the attraction of running a blog as an echo chamber.

3. Deacon_Augustine says:

Who claims he is an “experienced” blogger? He doesn’t seem to have any following – nobody was over their backing up his p.o.v. He strikes me as one of these converts who confused Catholicism with Pope worship and that probably worked for him for a while. But once JPII and Benedict XVI were out of the way, more and more people began to see that the emperor really has no clothes. Like Shea and Akin, he spends his time defending the indefensible and so he ends up talking to himself.

There comes a time when any reasonable person has to admit that the clown in white who appears to be an ignorant, faithless boor, appears that way simply because he is an ignorant, faithless, boor.

4. phlogiston says:

What a tool bag this Armstrong guy is! He also summarily deleted Steve Skojec’s detailed (and reasonable, in thought process and tone) disassembly of DA’s argument. When I commented on the deletion, he bleated something about “reactionaryism” and trolling, and then deleted the entire thread when I commented further. How does someone who is such an “experienced” blogger and “accomplished” public figure have such a thin skin?

Oh yeah. Well, I thought his non-answer was more because he had no idea what I was talking about. It’s a mistake to assume that the Vatican boys are as clewed in as a regular internet user. They are often astoundingly out of touch.

6. Deacon_Augustine says:

Possibly because you were there last year? Your question to Cardinal Pell was the one which came closest to getting him to spill the beans on what he really thought! (I was sitting in front of you though, so could only hear your voice and could not see you.)

However, depending on what emanates from the Papal pen in March, it might be worth avoiding Rome in case of heavenly fire!

7. MaryKJ says:

His page was amusing, although I was a little miffed that I was inadvertently lured to Patheos. Did anyone notice the dictionary from which he got his definition of ‘reactionary’? Something like, the Dictionary of Modern Culture or some funny name, copyright 2005. No need for the stuffy old OED.

BTW, James, I love your St. Thomas comment, below.

Good grief, no!

What on earth do you think would make me do that?!

9. Deacon_Augustine says:

LOL. You “fight” like an Amazon though. Perhaps will get a chance to put a face to the name if you are at the Rome Life Forum this year. Looks like a very good line-up of speakers.

But I saw your comment in my email inbox, so thanks. I guess. In reality, I’m not an Amazon at all, and am indeed quite “British” in appearance, being somewhat podgy and possessed of that Irish complexion that is sometimes charitably called “peaches and cream” and more often described as “pasty”.

It is liberals who have no sense of humour.

12. Deacon_Augustine says:

Awww – he deleted all my posts on his blog. I thought it was liberals who had no sense of humour. I guess it must be a bit lonely for him at the moment, though. He doesn’t seem to have anybody who agrees with him – even us wot is stuck in the NovusOrdoist establishment!

13. James C says:

When he thought he was converting to Catholicism, he was in fact converting to the Pope. That’s a common problem with many converts from the JPII era. And to go back on it now would besmirch the heady days of their conversion. So they understandably (if nonsensibly) double down.

I’m a convert myself, but I wasn’t converting from some rootless Protestantism. I came from a family whose members virtually all fell away from the Church in the 1970s, before I was born. That had pretty terrible effects on my childhood development that I’m still dealing with now, but I am thankful that it allowed me to enter the Church a decade ago with both eyes open. I had no choice but to recognise that an Asteroid had hit and that becoming a fanatical papal fanboy wasn’t the way to recover what was lost.

14. Re_Actor says:

It doesn’t take much for the mask of faux-Chestertonian bonhomie to slip and reveal the bully beneath, does it?

If I’m thinking of the same “popular Catholic blogger”, I’ll never forget how some years ago he mercilessly harried a gracious Catholic lady who had the effrontery to disagree with him on her own blog.

Whiny passive-aggressive sociopath.

15. Stephen Dalton says:

I know what “popular Catholic blogger” you’re talking about. He has pulled that “I’ll contact your employer” crap on several people, and sometimes, he has actually done it. Thankfully, the employers never paid it no heed. And, he has stalked people. One man, an internet buddy of mine, he stalked and harassed for seven long years! So you got off lucky. Thankfully, he quit blogging at the one you went to, and he only has his NCR blog, (where he can’t be as mean and nasty as he wants to be), and his Facebook page. He has gone so far off the rails though, I don’t think he’ll have those for very long.

16. James B says:

“.. Not just one, but two books…”
    Move over St. Thomas!

Oh that’s too hard. We all had a pretty fun romp through Dave’s commbox yesterday and he doesn’t seem to mind. I wouldn’t be too hard on him.

The poor schlep doesn’t know what hit him. And the funny thing is that
    if he wanted to talk in a serious way about the issues I’d be all over
    it, but all he ever does is quote me (and quote me and quote me) then point and say, “See? See?!
    Only radical Catholic reactionaries ™ say things like that!” Which
    really just makes him a target and helps our side of the discussion.

Whatever dude.

19. fxr2 says:

Hillary,

As a man born in 1966, I have to tell you that if I was not married with six children, I would be stuck between the pursuit of you and Ann Barnhardt! Unfortunately for Ann your taste in music would clearly place me over the edge!

As intellectually stimulating as is Ann I would most definitively find my self perusing you!

fxr2

20. thetimman says:

Hilary, it is so easy to stir these guys up! He fairly went apoplectic trying to take my little old blog down a couple days ago. Classic: he writes about the evil trads, then blocks any note of disagreement in his combox. I committed the crime of posting and wondering who the heck he was– I had never heard of him. Well, that set him off on an absolutely hilarious reaction post, which he tried to advertise in my combox. Again, after he blocked me! Now THAT’S hubris. Tone deaf, at that. No thanks, Dave, I can’t dialogue with you after you block me.

Anyway, is it wrong of me to find him hilarious when he so very likely needs help?

BTW, you don’t need the pat on the back, but he’s unworthy to loosen the latch of your keyboard– to mix the metaphor.

21. James B says:

That Dave Armstrong is a big baby who blocks rapidfire whenever there is the slightest speck of criticism that makes him nervous. But then he’ll devote an entire post to bashing this blog and Hilary White.

22. Re_Actor says:

“… radical Catholic reactionaryism … is a poison, a cancer. … [I] have opposed radical Catholic reactionaries for 19 years online, with a large web page devoted to them and not just one, but two books on the topic.”

23. Dymphna says:

Armstrong reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago. A popular Catholic blogger got angry because I disagreed with him. He behaved like a stalker and really scared me when he threatened to contact my employer. I never went to his site again and because a lot of my blogging friends love him and quote him I get the creeps every time I see his name.

Thanks for linking to the post on what a rad-trad you are. Very interesting to read how complete the blindness is. Two people can read the same text by Jorge and take in two opposite messages. How is that possible? Is this polarization? Are we supposed to find a compromise? Can we find some good in what Jorge says, and they some bad? I guess I’m willing to find some good, but the other pole seems unable to see anything even a little odd.

Hilary, this is another example of your value as a blogger. There has to be a way to get the truth out there even if few understand it. I can’t call you up, or drop by for a chat, so using this combox, I’ll say thank you!