Life unworthy of conception?

neues_volk_poster

Also, my pro-lifer spidey senses must be getting rusty. Didn’t the pope just imply that contraception could be used for eugenic reasons? Zika doesn’t kill the woman. The thing everyone is worried about is defective babies, microcephalics, life unworthy of life, right?

He also draws a comparison between violent rape and having a disabled child. The Jesuit who first proposed the idea – and offered no evidence whatever that Paul VI had in fact given this permission to the Congo nuns – explicitly said that contraception could be seen as a means of self-defence against aggression.

What is pope Francis saying now about the child in the womb? That a disabled child is an aggressor? That is the abortion lobby assertion; that the woman who uses abortion or contraception is defending herself from an unjust aggressor, namely the unwanted child.

10 thoughts on “Life unworthy of conception?”

Be happy to hear your expansion.

2. Deacon_Augustine says:

Well, they certainly used to.

3. Jeanne Smits says:

The pope basically said that Zika can oblige women to choose between two evils ; contraception now, or abortion later, as if the abortion were the only possible choice when microcephaly has been diagnosed. This is crazy. Need I expand? (By the way, thanks, Hilary, hadn’t thought about the “unjust agressor” logic).

4. Zippy says:

I also immediately noticed the weird equation of rape with consensual sex. A more accurate headline would be “Pope Francis says rape and consensual sex are morally the same.”

A rape victim literally cannot choose a disordered sexual act (contraception) while being raped, because a rape victim is not choosing a sexual act at all. So even if we grant the claim about Paul VI for the sake of argument, the extemporaneous magisterium of papal open mike flight still makes no sense.

Discrediting ultramontanism by practicing it since 2013.

This is simply the excuse du jure. We are so very clever, eh? There is an apparently good excuse for every single sin, from every single person. Pride hides everywhere – I know that GentleJesus knows my heart and He understands that my excuse is a valid one. My Pope knows my heart and he validates my excuse just because he’s so loving, like GentleJesus. And my Pope loves me so much he’s willing to be a chameleon pope – change himself into just the pope I like on any given day! Boy, Pope Francis is great!

6. Isabel says:

A couple of points. Zika is a virus, and the threat is not that it will be transmitted to the child, but that, like any virus contracted in the first trimester of pregnancy, it may affect the development of the child at a crucial point. Even the common cold can do this, btw. Any virus can cause birth defects. Does this mean that women should never get pregnant just in case there is some viral exposure lurking around the corner?

As for Zika, this supposed “epidemic” of microcephaly in one Brazilian state had more to do with fetal alcohol syndrome (drug and alcohol abuse is a serious problem among the poor there) than any viral exposure. Out of some 400 confirmed cases of microcephaly, only 14 of the mothers had antibodies to Zika, meaning that they had contracted it at some point in their lives. This is basically a ZPG generated hysteria meant to suppress natality, and the Pope fell for it. Or, judging by his earlier comments in the Philippines, maybe he was okay with it to begin with. Very disappointing, to say the least.

Words mean things.

8. Aloysius Gonzaga says:

That is definitely reading too much into his comments. I

9. Deacon_Augustine says:

But surely, Christians should be building bridges – not latex walls!

10. aguest says:

He’s an embarrassment to women.
    Might as well have said “stop breeding like Mosquitos.”