What you bind on earth shall remain bound…

OK, I think I may have just reached some kind of threshold.

For some reason known only to God, I’ve been able to keep joking my way through all this, and I know other people who have blinked long before now. I know people who freaked out all the way back at the first Angelus address and Francers praising Kasper’s “sublime” theology (or whatever gibberish was spilling out of his slack jaw that day). I know people who have cracked up at 20,000 feet and I’ve just kept on sailing.

But this.

I felt an actual wave of nausea. I could just be tired or something, but …

…this is…

…it’s…

I feel a little like I remember feeling the day after 9-11, after watching thousands of people die.

On February 11th Pope Francis addressed members of the Roman clergy. Only Zenit reported about it. Speaking about confession, Francis claimed that somebody may receive absolution in confession although he remains mute. Quote: “He spoke with the gesture by coming into the confessional.” This openly contradicts Church teaching as stated last time in Reconciliatio et paenitentia by John Paul II in 1984.

“What do you want me to do, Lord? I can’t fix this.”

This is worse. Can you imagine it? It’s actually worse. This means that people are no longer being granted valid absolution in Confession. It’s basic catechism stuff. Your sins are the matter of the sacrament, and you have to say them, out loud using your voice, if you’ve got one. Every kid who’s ever been prepared in the Church for sacramental Confession knows this.

If priests actually do what Francis tells them – and you can believe there are plenty of crap-priests who hate hearing confessions so much they’re going to pounce on this – those penitents will think they have been validly absolved. But their confessions are invalid.

They are remaining in their sins because of what this pope has told his priests to do. And people are going to believe it’s OK because, “the pope says…” is all we’ve got left of the Faith.

Any bets on how long it will be before the anecdotal stories start of people going to their priests and being told, “You don’t have to say anything. Just come into the box and kneel down and I’ll say the magic words and you’re done and dusted.” How many priests are going to rejoice about this, and announce from the pulpit that from now on the rite of confession in this parish will be different…”

God help us!

I feel sick.

The Council of Trent:
CANON IV.–If any one denieth, that, for the entire and perfect remission of sins, there are required three acts in the penitent, which are as it were the matter of the sacrament of Penance, to wit, contrition, confession, and satisfaction, which are called the three parts of penance; or saith that there are two parts only of penance, to wit, the terrors with which the conscience is smitten upon being convinced of sin, and the faith, generated (a) by the gospel, or by the absolution, whereby one believes that his sins are forgiven him through Christ; let him be anathema.

More and more I’m starting to believe that the only hope we have is an open declaration of schism, that Francis and those who follow him into his abyss, having themselves repudiated the tenets of the Holy Catholic Faith, are no longer in the Church. For the sake of their immortal souls.

Let them be anathema, for the sake of their immortal souls.

21 thoughts on “What you bind on earth shall remain bound…”

Yes, you are right, the Pope did say more than the shock headline – “you don’t have to say anything”!! But really, why would this Pope blab and blab and haul in all sorts of confusion when he could have simply stated what was necessary materially for confession? Is the confusion and bringing lots of extraneous matter a ploy of Modernists? Yes.

Don’t be silly. The Church has already covered those situations you name, and many more. A little common sense please.

3. AquinasMan says:

So then, if a priest is afraid to say the words over the bread and wine …

4. Remnant Clergy says:

The Akita prophecy describes the schism, Cardinal against Cardinal, bishop against bishop …

Likely this year.

5. Gary says:

At least once a week there’s a new shock from this papacy. I don’t know how many more whacks to the head I can take before a terminal state of concussion results. Of course, we’ll be hearing soon that this latest whopper is just a “translation” problem, or “that’s not what he really meant to say”. Since it’s Lent, I’ll refrain from further comment that might require a trip to a real confessional.

6. HudsonLink says:

Just found the quote on OnePeterFive, which is NOT the quote from Fr. Z. I wish OnePeter had given a locatable citation for it. Sorry, Hilary, I take it back. Looks like you were right.

7. HudsonLink says:

Although Francis did say that, if you check Fr. Zuhlsdorf’s extended quote, which puts it into context, Francis is talking about what to do when a penitent CAN NOT BE GIVEN ABSOLUTION.

He gives three situations; the one about just making a gesture is the second one. After the third, he gives suggestions about how to get the penitent to talk, or at least feel welcome to come back again later for confession and absolution, and says “Listen, I cannot absolve you of this, but I can assure you that God loves you, that God awaits you.”

Given the things Francis has said and done, the assumption that he meant no verbal confession was needed is understandable. I have no idea what he really believes, although I’m inclined towards Ann Barnhardt’s view: none of it.

For me, the threshhold was who he chose to have stand next to him on the papal balcony when he was elected, once I understood who he was and what he had done.

8. Aloysius Churchgate says:

What about people who are mute and cannot speak. Can they receive absolution? What about the sick person who is intubated and can’t speak? Can that person receive absolution? It seems to me there should be a middle ground here where people in extreme situations can still receive absolution.

9. Stephen Lowe says:

We are being lead away from The Truth. We are in the twilight zone….cue music…heresy is promulgated by the vicar of Christ and his minions…will no one stand up for the Faith? There is a heirarchy of sins and sins of the Faith are the worst since they can lead to apostasy and heresy. This will not end well for many of us but we have no one to blame. Lord have mercy on us.

10. St. Christopher says:

Why didn’t we learn of this? It is by now a truism to say that by little steps such as this that big leaps of non-Faith are accepted. We become numbed to heresy bit by bit. Even though it seems things are generally OK, small slips of belief here and there actually are foundational for large, very large, changes. Change the Mass, drop Latin, and you get craziness on Sunday (and now we are about to become Eucharistic-Twins with the Lutherans, who do not have valid priests, so not confect the Sacred Species, and have women priests, too. Nor can we really proselytize, including the Jews, as differences do not really matter. So, it seems fine to “convert” to become a Jew? Or to start going to Lutheran services?

Stop contributing to your local parish. Tell the USCCB of your anger (and your decision not to give them money anymore). Move all your regular giving only to Traditional orders and religious (and tell your bishop), including The Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, the FSSP, and the like. Write protesting letters and other communications; go public.

11. RaymondNicholas says:

Find a parish in the true Church and stick to it. Pray for all the members of the false Church and stick to it..

12. standtall909 says:

In my ‘neck of the woods’ Parishes were doing the ‘General Confession’ service, twice yearly in Advent and in Lent. This is exactly what the Priest would do, give EVERYONE absolution from the Altar. There were no Priests hearing individual confessions either. It’s when Bernadin was Cardinal, which should be no surprise. When Cardinal George was installed, he put the kibosh on that one. He told the Diocese that if they wanted to have ‘Reconciliation Services’ there had to be Confessors there for individual confessions, otherwise forget about it. Now we have you know who….Cupich, so I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if we went back to that.

13. samton909 says:

Honestly. You need to go read Father Z’s account of this. The pope did not say what you think he said. There are plenty of things to complain about this Pope, but this is not one of them. Get it right.

14. Peter says:

We must find and encourage one bishop to stand up to this man.

15. JTLiuzza says:

Bishops? Cardinals? Anybody? Please?

16. Jim J. McCrea says:

I read stories that have frightened me, and that I have taken very seriously, that there have been people because they were too ashamed to bring certain sins up in the confessional were damned in the end.

17. Marcelo says:

“Hell, what’s to stop them from just expanding it to its logical conclusion and having the priest just extend his magic hands at the end of Mass, say the formula of absolution before the dismissal? Get em all done at once and never have to sit in the box again for that awkward 15 minutes every Saturday.”

This situation have become very common, and for a couple of decades now, here in the northeast of Brazil. So much so that the proper confession is called “individual confession”. We still have the sacrament of confession, but most people got used to be collectively “absolved”.

18. The Good Doctor says:

“Hell, what’s to stop them from just expanding it to its logical conclusion and having the priest just extend his magic hands at the end of Mass, say the formula of absolution before the dismissal?”

That’s exactly where my mind went. Doesn’t that mean that all the invalid “general absolution services” are okey dokey? Why do we even need confessionals? “Everyone needing reconciliation, please don’t queue up. Sit in the pews and remain mute. Father Jazz Hands will absolve from the pulpit shortly.”

19. bosco49 says:

Take heart, Hilary, as I do, at the following headline of today’s date:

THE EXPRESS (UK) – “FOUR DAYS LEFT: Freak supermoon, eclipse and asteroid on SAME DAY ‘signal end of world'”

20. Stephen Lowe says:

Can the H word be used now? When the lack of Faith as taught by Our Holy Mother the Church is held in utter disdain …can we call that person a heretic? An apostate? Do I need to confess this?

21. Maggie says:

Kind of like the days of so called ‘general confession’ where you could write your sins on a piece of paper and burn them in the brazier and everyone and everything was ‘forgiven’. Or the times when we got in a line and just told the priest one thing and we all got ‘forgiven’. You know, because the priest is so busy with his life that he does not have time to hear confessions….
    I moved away from that diocese. My parish has confessions every day of the week. Not too many of the older folks go because for years they were told they did not have to but there is always a line of people who are less than seniors.

PS: to whom shall we go? Schism? Recall the Church has had many bad popes: some were of ambition, some were adulterers, some were thieves….once there were three men claiming to be pope. As difficult as it is, we must hang on to the Barque even when it is shifting in the wind. We do what we can to anchor to the pillars of the Eucharist and Our Lady and we live totally the age old teachings of Christ and His Church. This pope is pushing 80. He has done untold damage in 3 years but it is the Lord’s Church and we have to look past man to Him.