Vatican plunges itself into darkness for World Wildlife Fund

CVuXXWLU4AA2icM

just in time for the start of Holy Week.
Because, optics!

St Peter’s Basilica is among many world famous landmarks that will be switching off the lights on its facade and dome for an hour on Saturday evening, from 8.30 to 9.30 pm, to mark “Earth Hour” and show its concern for the future of our planet. The lights around the colonnade of St. Peter’s Square will also be turned off at the same time. The World Wildlife Fund began the annual “Earth Hour” initiative in 2007 and since then it has grown each year with more than 172 countries participating in the event in 2015.

“I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”
Anything?
No? Nothing?

But don’t worry. The pope has just joined Instagram!

8 thoughts on “Vatican plunges itself into darkness for World Wildlife Fund”

1. Hatchetwoman says:

I usually take public transit to work, but for many “Earth” Days running, I’ve driven to work and left the lights on at home. I’ve thrown recyclable waste into the trash bin … done everything but waste water. I’m in Southern California, and that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face. But I do enough damage even without the wasting of water.

2. DoghouseRiley9 says:

Me too! I also put up some of our Christmas lights in case there was any doubt.

3. VeilOfTiers says:

That’s what that’s what I have done, too! Of course, I live in an isolated area. Perhaps my light will shine all the brighter with all those in the cities off!

4. Karen Hall says:

“The earth you will always have with you.” Oh, wait…

5. Chloe says:

That’s what we do too. Light a beacon for the Faith!

6. Carolann says:

Thank-you Hilary as always, but I feel sick.

Hee, hee. We here in our home turn every light we have ON just to piss off our neighbours who knuckle under – no – they are thrilled to do something for mother earth, or in this case the government.

8. bosco49 says:

The glass is always half-empty for you, isn’t it, Hilary?

You do not credit the heroism of the ecclesiastics who were unafraid to brave 1 hour of darkness for international ‘Earth Hour’ on 19 March, i.e. the Feast formerly observed as that of St, Joseph, Patron of the Universal Church, or Francis who undoubtedly signed his apostolic exhortation on the Synod of the Family by candlelight during that very hour of darkness.

I see twin comets will do an earth fly-by tonight. Perhaps they might be triplets.