There goes another one…

“Speaking with the Press Democrat of Santa Rosa, Bishop Robert Vasa called Amoris Laetitia an intriguing, engaging, and delightfully challenging expression of hope for married love.”

Vasa, though obscure in terms of his position in the US hierarchy, is well known as one of the shortlist of “good conservative” American bishops. And for liking and frequently celebrating the old Mass. He has gone so far as to have founded a community of sisters who only use the old rite.

Vasa pointed to a paragraph of the exhortation, where Francis writes, “the Synod Fathers observed that, ‘as for proposals to place unions between homosexual persons on the same level as marriage, there are absolutely no grounds for considering homosexual unions to be in any way similar or even remotely analogous to God’s plan for marriage and family.’ ”

Vasa said that “nonetheless we have to strive to accompany everyone to see their own innate goodness and at the same time acknowledge that sometimes our behaviors are not consistent with the moral law.”

A thundering defence of the Church’s moral law right there…

When I was researching and thinking about what happened to the religious life after the Council, it was obvious to me that there were some serious problems, some grave vulnerabilities, among religious that had to have been there for a long time for the whole business to have been destroyed so fast. I think I described it as having the appearance of a great castle built on a rock, but in reality it was about as strong as a soap bubble, and indeed, vanished at the lightest touch.

What we are seeing now, with the so-called “conservative” bishops like Vasa fighting each other to be the first to capitulate to this regime, to outdo each other in the fulsomeness of their praise of Amoris Laetitia, and to make the most soothing noises about the worst and most repugnant outrgowths of the Sexual Revolution, is another expression of just how fragile has become the the novusordoist facade.

How small a nudge it took to bring the entire termite-infested thing down. All Francis and Kasper and Marx and their buddies had to do to the “conservative” novusordo Church was lean on it. Not even with their full weight, and down it came.

31 thoughts on “The conservatives will save us!! AL an “intriguing, engaging, and delightfully challenging expression of hope for married love.””

1. Pingback: Let’s play the pope game! – What's Up With Francis-Church?
  2. Trackback: Let’s play the pope game! – What's Up With Francis-Church?
  3. G.vonBerlichingen says:

I’d rather not engage in speculations. I’ll burn the bridges as I get to them.

Good call. There were some Maronites near where I lived in Toronto, but they’ve done something weird with their liturgy too.

5. IHSV says:

False… Sadly. Please see this Latin Mass Magazine article, The Semi-Traditionalists, at this url [ http://www.latinmassmagazine.com/articles/articles_1999_FA_Woods.html ]

“…Simply put, in Protocol 1411/99 the Vatican has ordered that any priest, even one belonging to an institute enjoying the privilege of using the 1962 Roman Missal, may freely celebrate or concelebrate Mass using the revised Missal of 1970 with no impediment whatever, the will of their superiors notwithstanding. But the Vatican went further, mandating that FSSP priests must say the new Mass or concelebrate under some conditions. …”

Sorry 🙁

6. Netmilsmom says:

No, the Latin rite is not the only way to go. I’m in a “vast wasteland of modernism” diocese who thinks that going Charismatic is the way to bring people back. I headed over to the Chaldean rite and I couldn’t be happier. They still believe Christ is King and act like it. Don’t discount the Eastern rites.

7. Netmilsmom says:

We’re with you here, friend. Sometimes I think I belong to a Cyber-parish.

8. Interloquitor says:

Oops, sorry. PF’s incumbency feels like a frick’n ETERNITY!

9. Eugene says:

VII destroyed them

10. Gary says:

Revisiting the dogma of infallibility?! Every time I think we’ve seen the most shocking thing, a new, even more heinous idea is floated. How long, O Lord…

11. Stephen Lowe says:

Didn’t Joan Jett sing of this false hero syndrome once?

12. Netmilsmom says:

I don’t think they are going to declare us anything. Why should they? We will stay where we are, with our wallets open, because we are Catholics. We follow the rules set down by the magisterium for thousands of years. One of which is, we must attend mass every Sunday and another is to support the Church. They will continue to abuse us and we will take it because we have no other choice.
    The best bet is to find a parish with a TLM and stay there, or scoot on over to the Eastern rites. We have to hold out until the ship rights itself. No one is going to make it easy to walk away.

13. MJ Anderson says:

This is very probable. And their goal is to keep their resistance/ leadership quiet.

14. Rory Donnellan says:

Yes, the FSSP stayed true to the traditional Latin Mass – even though it meant they could not be accommodated in the Brisbane Archdiocese. Several bi-ritual local families struggled to comprehend the FSSP’s unswerving devotion to the traditional Latin Mass – but their steadfast refusal to dabble with the Novus Ordo Missae spoke volumes. Despite a big carrot being dangled in front of their noses, they would not be tempted. God bless those courageous Priests. May the Good Lord grant each and everyone of us the graces to similarly resist the new religion.

15. Isabel says:

Not to be too freaked out, but everybody has to read Sandro Magister’s post about Francis the autocrat today. From his conversations with Kung, I’d say they’re clearly planning to ditch the infallibility of the magisterium or anything that came before him, and make Francis’ every passing incoherent and heretical thought the new substance of the Church – because Bergoglio thinks he is the leader of all Christians, and in fact, the leader of everybody in the world.
    In my opinion, he thinks he’s the successor not of Peter, but of Jesus. And we all know from Scripture that there isn’t any successor. Abomination of desolation standing in the holy place time, anyone?

16. dcm says:

Miss White , for you and your readers – thank you https://youtu.be/_60cGdjaC5o

17. Chloe says:

Long live the FSSP for not backing down and saying “Ok, we’ll offer the NO then”.

Yeah, I really have no idea what could possibly be the outcome in real terms. It’s all getting so wildly weird now that I’m thinking there aren’t enough wild and crazy ideas to cover what we’re looking at. Just strap in, is the only suggestion I’ve got left.

I’ve only been here 19 months. Shee…

No, I’ll keep it. It’s a good point.

I can’t speak for all bishops everywhere, but it does seem that one hears a great many warnings from them against “divisiveness”. I heard this from someone who is regarded as one of the “best” archbishops in Canada. He seemed to be under the impression that showing a united front was more important than standing up for the Real. This seems to be the common rule. If they learned anything in Top Secret Bishop School, it was that “divisiveness” is the only real sin a prelate can commit.

I really do believe that this is an unfair characterization of +Robert’s motives. He is in that group of good men who, very likely, are semi-compromised by unconscious acceptance of the modern world’s standards, and is therefore ill equipped to face up to what is happening now.

Impossible to say. I think most of us are hoping for something like this, but the experienced are warning not to hold our breath.

24. Eugene says:

I keep praying that something is going on behind the scenes in the form of organized resistance under the leadership of some orthodox prelate ( many come to mind, Sarah, Oulette, Caffara, Muller, the Pope Emeritus) but so far silence, but maybe somthing is happening, or am I just wishfully thinking.

25. Rory Donnellan says:

Bishop Vasa may have put in a very strong bid for promotion – but despite his very best efforts, I fear he still may find himself overlooked in the hunt for a red hat – beaten by a whisker at the line by Australia’s champion brown-nosing Archbishop Mark Coleridge! What a terrible waste of effort if all that flattery never gets rewarded with a cushy job in Rome!

26. Ad Orientem says:

I thought AL was that something, but the smoothing over has continued. Don’t wait for anything to “finally topple the facade over – not even the supposed intention of Francis to lift the excommunication fro the Lutherans.

27. Isabel says:

Sorry to hear about Bishop Vasa, but I think many bishops have actually decided that the only way to deal with this is to put on a happy face. And I believe many of them are not doing it out of careerism, but because they are genuinely afraid that the faithful will be scandalized and are trying to prevent that by their positive “interpretations” of Francis’ horrible document – and by saying that nothing has changed, all is well, don’t give up the ship. Sooner or later, though, something is going to happen that can’t be smoothed over.

28. dcm says:

Sorrow yes , despair no –

29. Pingback: CATHOLIC HEADLINES 5.8.16 – The Stumbling Block
  30. Trackback: CATHOLIC HEADLINES 5.8.16 – The Stumbling Block

Yes, though of course, the scene is meant for tongue-in-cheek. Poor William Wallace in that scene was completely dumbfounded. Me, not so much.

I also quite liked the Irisman, and as he was possibly an ancestor of mine, I try to remember him in my prayers.

No. I was writing a book, and what I discovered during the research phase brought me to such a catastrophic revelation about the condition of the Church that the book was shelved. I have written only a very small number of articles for LSN on the religious life, and that only peripherally. I don’t think I would consider writing such a book today, given what I have learned in the last ten years.

33. Gary says:

Bishops jockeying for position in the race for promotion??
    “…and Cupich is moving up quickly on the outside while Vasa is making a charge at the rail!”