Refugees welcome

I remember the first time I saw an Anglican ministrix dressed up in a priest-collar, black clerical shirt, black straight skirt and black jacket. She came into the cafe-bookstore I took my tea in every day in Halifax. I had trouble not bursting out laughing.

It was the kind of place where I just had to walk in and my guy, Peter-who-never-smiles, just started making the tea. They had their own special blend of Earl Grey which was to die for, and had a caffeine kick like a young cart horse. They kept a stack of up to date political and art magazines, and didn’t care how long you sat there reading and scribbling in your book. It was a great place, but it really attracted hippies and weirdos.

When that lady walked in, I just could hardly contain myself, and kept exchanging glances with PeterWNS and kind of gurgling into my tea to hide the laughing.

So, you’ll understand why I’m sitting here in the enoteca now (it’s three pm, gimme a break!) and am doing the same gurgling and grinning thing. There’s a German tourist couple sitting near by who must think I’m insane or something.

Francis to create commission to study female deacons in Catholic church
Joshua J. McElwee | May. 12, 2016

Vatican City – Pope Francis has announced he will create a commission to study the possibility of allowing women to serve as deacons in the Catholic church, signaling an historic openness to the possibility of ending the global institution’s practice of an all-male clergy.

The pontiff indicated he would create such a commission during a meeting at the Vatican Thursday with some 900 leaders of the world’s congregations of Catholic women religious, who asked him during a question-and-answer session why the church excludes women from serving as deacons.

The women religious, meeting with the pope as part of the triennial assembly of the International Union of Superiors General (UISG), told Francis that women has served as deacons in the early church and asked: “Why not construct an official commission that might study the question?”

The pope responded that he had spoken about the matter once some years ago with a “good, wise professor” who had studied the use of female deacons in the early centuries of the church. Francis said it remained unclear to him what role such deacons had.

“What were these female deacons?” the pontiff recalled asking the professor. “Did they have ordination or no?”

“It was a bit obscure,” said Francis. “What was the role of the deaconess in that time?”

“Constituting an official commission that might study the question?” the pontiff asked aloud. “I believe yes. It would do good for the church to clarify this point. I am in agreement. I will speak to do something like this.”

“I accept,” the pope said later. “It seems useful to me to have a commission that would clarify this well.”

Francis’ openness to studying the possibility of women serving as deacons could represent an historic shift for the global Catholic church, which does not ordain women as clergy.

ugly14
I’m sure this lady would be happy to sit on that committee…

Hey novusordoist “conservatives” !

art6axBehold your future!
Take a gooood, loooonnng look.

Meantime, anyone who is starting to think it might be a good idea to get out of Dodge, email me. I can hook you up with an excellent realtor. There’s a lot of empty houses, and you won’t believe how cheap the rents are. I think there’s going to be more than a few refugees here before it’s all done.

Here’s what you get for neighbours.

I’ve said it from that first night at Roberto’s in the Borgo… that first awful night… about half way down our third liter of house red… Francis is the pope we need.

He’s the one who is going to force us to make a choice.

Are we there yet?

How about now?

43 thoughts on “Refugees welcome”

1. CraigV says:

Whether he knows of the report or not is irrelevant. He’s a modernist, and believes truth changes with time. The new commission’s purpose will be to determine of the collective consciousness of the masses are ready for this progression.

2. louiseyvette says:

That’s very interesting.

3. Rory Donnellan says:

A few years back there was mention of a traditionalist Benedictine community forming on a farm near the small rural village of Proston, Queensland – on 500 acres that had been donated to them. I’m not sure how those very early discussions progressed but there is plenty of cheap farm land throughout that district. Many of the farms are ex-dairies which went bust once the family-owned dairy-farm was targeted for extinction. I suspect that if Brisbane Archbishop Coleridge ever gives his blessing to a traditionalist Benedictine community out there (and I wouldn’t hold your breath for that one), the number of local farms currently being auctioned by the big banks could dwindle significantly. Apart from the old dairies, the south Burnett region is now renowned as a citrus-growing region. There is an abundance of water (including underground water) – often too much – with some major flooding in recent years. The last major flood on the Burnett river was the worst on record! About a year ago, I took the family to try out a few good stock-horses up for grabs on a big Burnett property owned by friends – and the effects of that big flood were still very evident.

4. louiseyvette says:

All this is assuming the Sweet Meteor of Death takes its sweet time, of course.

5. louiseyvette says:

Lord above! I’m not planning to do more than milk a couple of goats! I’m from Australia too – g’day. My husband will have to keep toiling at his current job, but there is some chance we could relocate. At a certain point, though, we may all have to farm or die.

6. louiseyvette says:

There ain’t no way I’m going to Oklahoma! It’s back to Oz for me, or somewhere close to Narnia, I mean Norcia.

7. Rory Donnellan says:

There’s a lot to be said for buying farmland adjoining a monastery – so you have the ability to feed your family – both spiritually and physically – in a famine. However, there’s a lot of work involved in setting up and running a successful farm for which people raised in cities are often not well-equipped. A few years back we had to sell 2 farms that we owned – a cattle property of 530 acres, and a nearby laser-levelled irrigated hay paddock of 40 acres – to cut our debts and simplify life. You can hold doctoral degrees in nuclear physics from the best universities, but if you don’t know much about irrigation, tractors/bulldozers/machinery, fence, shed and yard-building and livestock, there’s a steep learning curve awaiting you. Particularly here in Australia, but I imagine in most other parts of the world too, a reliable water-supply is key – including back-up if your first-line supply of water fails when you need it most – e.g. in a bushfire! Out in the bush, you likely won’t have any access to town-water – and prayers for rain to refill your creeks, dams and tanks might take time to be answered! In short, if we didn’t have another source of income, we would find it hard to survive on the land. The very best thing we have found about rural living are the country-people – far more family and community-oriented and helpful to neighbours than most city-dwellers. The second best thing – horses!

8. Mike Hurcum says:

let us hope God is still in charge nad he is not leaving it to us to defend His Church, as we should. Fat chance we will.

9. Raghn says:

We’re on the same wavelength. I have a friend who is into conservation in these parts and I’ll ask her about it. Lots of the Magyar go to Erdély to the Hungarian-speaking areas, but they loathe the Romanians, and the feeling is mutual. However, there’s a lot of true Magyar of the true Magyar there, too. The Romanians are trying to squish ’em but theyr’e resiliant. Or they were. But yes, if I win the lottery, a castle over there might be just the ticket. (There’s a lot of famous old Hungarian castles in what is now Slovakia, too, and lots of Magyar-speaking people, too. And there’s even more loathing on the part of each party–and the Slovaks are (mostly) Catholic, too. (There were a lot of Calvinists in Erdély and for some hundreds of years, it was an independent – more or less – “free state” between the Hapsburgs and the Turks, with Catholics and Prots living together. Dracula, of course, wasn’t one of ’em, haha.)

It’s funny you should mention this, because I’ve just started getting interested in Transylvania. It does seem to be a cultural preservation. There’s a German forest-raping company that’s clearcutting illegally there right now. A small group of people are trying to get it stopped at the EU.

11. louiseyvette says:

Thanks, Hilary. I understand about the seriousness, but to even think of making such a big move, I have to have a good idea of major costs. I’ll keep trawling the ‘net. 🙂

Pretty good. The terreno agricoltura is pretty cheap around here, and since there is a general exodus of native nursini to the cities, there’s going to be more and more of it available. I can hook you up with my guy, but you won’t be taken seriously as a buyer/renter until you show up with a wad of dough in your paw. Real estate isn’t a spectator sport to the Italians. They want to get the deal closed in the same afternoon. They love Americans, btw.

But for me, this place is great but turning out to be just a leeetle too close to Rome. Way to many people I know show up unexpectedly.

It’s not Narnia, but you can almost see it from here.

14. louiseyvette says:

Well he already wants to “dialogue” about Infallibility. Deaconettes are nothing compared to a fallible Pope.

15. louiseyvette says:

So, my husband… Should I just beat him with a club and drag him to Norcia? The kids can bring the luggage.

16. louiseyvette says:

Incoherence goes well with lying I guess.

17. louiseyvette says:

I’ve been dying to get into Narnia for ages. Norcia might be the closest I get.

I’m thinking of going to Rome for the planned intervention by the laity on 25th June.

Ministresses of the cloth are hilarious.

Honestly, he probably doesn’t have any idea. Frankly, the guy seems to know nothing at all about how the Church works. He seems to regard papal power as absolute and anything that happened before he was elected as irrelevant. I’m guessing he didn’t know, and if someone were to tell him, wouldn’t care.

19. Henry Craft says:

Father Z points out that a commission previously looked at this question (Ihttp://wdtprs.com/blog/2016/05/some-feminine-observations-about-deaconesses-aka-deaconettes/). The International Theological Commission issued a report in 2002, opposing the ordination of women as deacons.

So did Pope Bergoglio forget about that commission? If so, it would be an embarrassing back-down to cancel the proposal for a new commission. Given his narcissism, he would proceed with an unnecessary commission, rather than face up to having made a mistake.

Or was he quite aware of the previous commission? Was he operating on the basis that you keep having re-examinations until someone eventually agrees with you?

And remember the committee that preceded Humanae Vitae. By a majority, it recommended doctrinal changes, which Pope Paul rejected. But it was the committee’s existence that fuelled dissent to the Magisterium, rather than its actual recommendations. Once you indicate that changes are afoot, suppressing such changes produces unmet expectations and a revolutionary situation. As an old leftist, Bergoglio knows this and apparently welcomes it.

20. Henry Craft says:

The baroque Vatican information agencies are apparently still not referring to issue. However Zenit has a report, so perhaps that counts as semi-official confirmation:

21. Rory Donnellan says:

A great FSSP parish, Black Sheep sporting goods and Cabelas – wow, you have been richly blessed. All you need now are a few good campdrafting horses for the children and you are set!

22. Deacon_Augustine says:

Not only has the International Theological Commission studied this question already – and ruled it out, but there has been a very erudite book published on the diaconate in which it was also ruled out. The author was one Gerhard Ludwig Mueller. So guess which Prefect of the CDF will not be invited to sit on Frank’s new committee!

23. NIdahoCatholic says:

North Idaho is a bit safer than Norcia in that regard, given the difference in population density between Italy and the Inland Northwest. While we don’t have Benedictine monks here, we do have a great parish run by the FSSP. Not to mention Black Sheep sporting goods and Cabelas.

The trick is to get a job that does not originate in Italy. Work online and get paid directly into a US bank account, and it won’t matter at all.

25. Romulus says:

He seems to be speeding up. As if he knows his time is short.

26. docmx001 says:

Just yesterday, I wrote this: ” Everything will continue to accelerate. These people will be further emboldened with each brazen move that goes unchallenged, save for the dozen bloggers who will call it out. They must be even more amazed than we are at the pathetic lack of response.” Being right is really starting to suck. https://nonvenipacem.com/2016/05/12/the-deaconesses-await/

I am a British citizen by birth and hold a UK passport, which means I have the legal right to live and work anywhere in the EU. This also makes it possible for me to have Italian national health coverage and whatnot. But in truth, as long as you can work on the internet and have your own health coverage privately, there are very few practical obstacles. Details are all available online.

28. Jude says:

That’s a great book. Perfect gift for any Catholic mother who doesn’t already have it.

29. Pingback: CATHOLIC HEADLINES 5.12.16 – The Stumbling Block
  30. Trackback: CATHOLIC HEADLINES 5.12.16 – The Stumbling Block
  31. SAF says:

I’m in a similar spot, but truly “ready” myself, while my husband is not. What would perhaps bolster my case is a thorough explanation of how, precisely, one can legally move to and work in Italy. We are Americans, and I know that Miss White is Canadian by birth, so the steps are likely different. Also, I’d assume that working for LifeSite’s Rome bureau at one time may have expedited her move? At any rate, farming or any sort of self-sufficiency of that sort is out of the question for us due to age and some physical issues (50s; we’re old parents whose youngest is 7). There would have to be paid work, in a country where we don’t speak the language. But if I were single, I’d be on the next plane.

32. Gary says:

Let’s see, it’s been a busy few weeks for the man in the Vatican. Mortal sin is no longer necessarily mortal sin, female deacons are moving up the charts, and infallibility may be revisited (and tossed?). What’s next in his bag of tricks? I can hardly wait. But God is still in charge and will see us through to the end, in spite of the chaos and disorder in high places. Something very good will come out of this mess, though I have no idea what that might be.

One of the things that this story made clear was that lying and manipulating present no moral qualms for him.

An approach that naturally has “practical” repercussions in the area of direct indications for pastors and the ecclesial community. Archbishop Forte has in fact revealed a “behind the scenes” [moment] from the Synod: “If we speak explicitly about communion for the divorced and remarried,” said Archbishop Forte, reporting a joke of Pope Francis, “you do not know what a terrible mess we will make. So we won’t speak plainly, do it in a way that the premises are there, then I will draw out the conclusions.”

“Typical of a Jesuit,” Abp Forte joked…”

At this stage, we can be pretty confident that the obscure way he has of speaking is a defence mechanism, like a squid that squirts a bunch of ink to cover his getaway.

34. Netmilsmom says:

Really. I thought that when I past 30, I got over my “On the Beach” syndrome. Yet here it is, popping back up.

35. Felix M says:

And we were wondering what would be Pope Bergoglio’s new stunt … But is the report true?

Of course, the Vatican “news agency” does not mention it. But it does confirm that the Pope met with the “International Union of Superior Generals”:

And the report on the Nationa Catholic Reporter’s site is detailed and appears reliable:

And, unfortunately, it’s not the first of April.

I’m so predictable…

37. Rouxfus says:

Boswell: I told him I had been that morning at a meeting of the people called Quakers, where I had heard a woman preach.
    Samuel Johnson: Sir, a woman’s preaching is like a dog’s walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all.
    [Boswell: Life of Johnson]

38. Kate McAuliffe says:

Thank you for the Chant. I was just commenting the other day to my husband that my prayer book, “Mother Love” has directions like “at the sound of the bell in the evening say on your knees…” In many ways I would love to get out of Dodge, but we have three children still at home and the only way we would have the money would be to sell our home and just move. I just typed that and thought to which you would respond…so what are you waiting for…I think we need bastions all over the world to keep the light shining. I hope that is true and not just wishful thinking. I agree Francis is the Pope we need to shake up those with their fingers in their ears saying …lalalalala…i personally know one and I keep praying for him.

39. thetimman says:

The Destroyer

40. Samantha says:

I did a double take when I saw that pope Francis was seriously considering female deacons, and not the good kind. What the hell is in store next?… I’m second thought, don’t answer that. I don’t think I want to know.

41. Rouxfus says:

Apostolic teaching and Tradition of the Church: “Let women keep silence in the churches. For, it is not permitted them to speak … It is a shame for a woman to speak in the church.” [First Letter of St. Paul to the Catholics in Corinth, xiv. 34, 35.]

42. Michael Dowd says:

Norcia Sounds like a good “On the Beach” kind of place considering that Pope Francis is a post-apocalyptic event for the Church.

43. Linda Clerkin says: