Disqus sucks: housekeeping notes

Well, y’all may have noticed that the comments thingy is different. I discovered that Disqus had taken it upon itself to install some kind of hideous adverts at the bottom of every post. This was not something I would ever have wanted and as soon as I discovered it, I deactivated Disqus.

For many reasons, Disqus is a pain, and I’m glad I don’t have to deal with their idiotic and often labyrinthine processes for moderating and checking messages, and I am glad I can deactivate the stupid thing in my email that kept putting a bunch of annoying crap in there through my connection with Disqus.

The problem is that the lion’s share of the site traffic, I’m informed, comes through having Disqus hooked up to the blog. It also makes comment moderation kind of weird and hard to figure out.

So, I’m doing a quick poll of readers: Disqus yes? Or Disqus No?

40 thoughts on “Disqus sucks: housekeeping notes”

1. Vicki White says:

I cannot stand using disqus. Most sites, if they allow you to sign in using other credentials such as your Facebook or google log ins. Disqus fools you into thinking you can do the same thing, but noooooo! They want you to create a disqus account. So you ring around the rosies 2-3 times and then it sits there and spins. I think the sites that use it really don’t care about comments. What a ridiculous program.

2. Servant of יהוה says:

You might want to read about the privacy implications of Disqus. That is, it is yet another huge, corporate (and, probably, government) spy tool.

I am currently researching alternatives for my blog. The one that looks most interesting to me is http://muut.com/ .

3. J says:

I use Disqus with my Twitter account and am generally apathetic one way or the other. It’s your blog; you could turn off comments all together and I’d just shrug.

4. Syndyk Warszawa says:

“W trakcie postępowania upadłościowego syndyk/doradca restrukturyzacyjny ma znacznie szersze obowiązki aniżeli dotychczasowy Zarząd. “

5. St. Benedict's Thistle says:

The ads annoy me. They really annoy me. I dislike Disqus very much. I felt forced into signing up for it in order to express an opinion on different blog sites. I felt coerced. I resent them.

6. Streamer85 says:

Dump Disquis – an annoyance at best!

7. Tiger184 says:

I will follow you and your wonderful commentary whichever comment platform you choose to use.

8. Ed Sain says:

Disqus builds a spying dossier of our opinions for an ulterior purpose.
    I refuse to comment, if any such dossier-builder is used on me.

9. Elizabeth F. says:

I also like Disqus for the ease with which to get Notifications when someone responds to your comments.

10. Remnant Clergy says:

Just use the built-in WordPress comment features which are sufficient and don’t allow ads. You can give certain emails a pass so you don’t need to approve them every time. And you can require anything with links to be moderated. Any portion of an email address or name can be detected and put into the moderation queue. You should have Akismet installed for anti-spam if you are self-hosted. That is built-in if you are hosted on wordpress.com

11. Laramie Hirsch says:

Disqus is fine. I ignore the ads. I’m sure most people do.

12. Jean says:

I’d say NO to Disqus (“Disgust”). They’re a tracking platform, following us all over the web. Another blog I frequent, http://wmbriggs.com, tossed Disqus to the curb – as a reader, it hasn’t changed anything from my end. His comment section looks like what’s up here today, Name, Email, and Website. You can’t “like” other people’s comments, but people reply to each other by name and can request to get an email when a new comment posts. There’s also WordPress, not sure how that works from your end.

FWIW, I’m not a regular commenter, but I do read the comments and learn a lot from some of them. However, I’d visit your site with or without comments.

13. Elizabeth F. says:

P.S. I’ve never noticed any ads and I’m on Disqus all the time checking on comments and posts. But I use AdBlock. Works like a charm.

14. Elizabeth F. says:

As for me, I’d keep it. Almost every conservative blog that I comment on uses Disqus. And some Catholic blogs.

15. T. Audrey Glamour says:

I find disqus easy to use from a commenters point of view but I also dislike the ads (but I find I ignore them).

Disqus is interesting in that if the user has not made their info private you can see what certain annoying people post in other places. And because NcR-Fishwrap uses it you might see people you recognize from over there posting elsewhere. Not that I read NcR…

16. Johannes says:

17. Stabat Mater says:

I prefer to avoid trashy pics since I often have a child unexpectedly peeking over my shoulder. Sort of awkward to yell, “Custody of the eyes!” when you are reading Trad Catholic stuff. Homeschooling doesn’t afford me much privacy! Also, I often forward your postings to my eldest daughter & friends, and the ads/links/pics make me cringe and hesitate before sending. Can’t imagine the peeps who are seeking edification want to glance at it either.

If someone can suggest a good ad blocker, this technophobe would appreciate it!

18. Radical Catholic says:

I like the ability to post images and videos, but I can live without it. I don’t mind ads, provided they’re not R-rated.

19. Konstantin says:

I use Adblocker in order to avoid the type of ads you have mentioned. I find Disqus annoying, too.

Yeah, this kind of my though too. I was pretty mad when I saw they’d just installed the stuff without any warning. I had no idea until I scrolled down on a page one day.

21. Mr John Heuertz, OP says:

From what I’ve seen, your thoughts are more worthwhile than ours and I hate Disqus too, so I’d say good riddance.

22. Linda S. says:

I have a Discus account because it’s necessary for some sites. If it wasn’t required, I wouldn’t bother with it. (Must admit, I’ve noticed ads occasionally and wondered if the site’s writers knew what was representing them.)

23. Eugene says:

I use disqus

24. Michael says:

Used to disqus, though I think they spelled it wrong

25. John Cahill says:

Do what you need to do to make it work for you. I’ll make it work from this end one way or another. If I can’t, I’ve probably gotten so demented living here in the lower left-hand corner of the Benighted States that I shouldn’t be allowed on the internet anyway.

26. Magdalene says:

27. louiseyvette says:

At least I get to keep my avatar. 🙂

28. Judy says:

I’m fine with whatever you choose.

29. louiseyvette says:

No problem for me either way. Do what works best.

30. Helena says:

Please ditch Disqus… I noticed some of the adverts risqué and therefore offensive.

31. Jean d'Alençon wannabe says:

I’ve been reading this site for months and have never heard of Disqus before today, so I have no specific answer to contribute on that. As a general principle though, I would suggest trusting your IT people when they give advice on how to reach more readers. Your work here has been a great resource to me in my quest for sanity and it would be a shame if others who need it couldn’t find it.

Whatever you want – what’s easier/better for you. I have an ad blocker so don’t see any.

33. Elizabeth Duran says:

I have been forced to use Disqus, and in principle, I think it’s a good idea. I don’t mind the ads. The thing I do mind, however, is that Disqus is flaky and doesn’t always recognize you – I’ve ended up having to create another user because for some reason it wouldn’t recognize me on one site…while it would no another.

Is there some kind of software where you could have people register, briefly vet them, and then kick them out if they exceed the limits? BTW, I’m not posting this through my Disqus account because for some reason it’s not recognizing me and not letting me sign in. Sigh.

34. Linda says:

Discus is fine. I ignore the ads so much I kinda blinked when reading what you wrote. “What ads?” I thought. If discus is easier for you, use it. I, for one, am not swayed by ads.

35. strickerm says:

I don’t think I have a Disqus account, but I am able to post comments on other sites using Disqus by logging in with my Google account credentials. What I really can’t stand about some blog sites is the barrage of off-hand or silly advertisements that sit between the final line of a post and the comments section. If Disqus is a pain, then dump it, but be sure you have an alternative.

36. Martha says:

This platform is fine. Whatevs. Once you put your info in once, it should remember you, so no biggie. Better than slutty adverts. That’s from a commenter’s standpoint; I don’t know how it will affect readership; you’ll have to make that call.

37. Fuquay Steve says:

If it sucks less than the alternative, keep it, more than the alternative, ditch it. Me, I do not care ….just grateful to experience your wit and wisdom, seasoned with a little snark.

38. HRPuffinstuff says:

I don’t comment on blogs often, but do so via Disqus . . .

39. Michael Dowd says:

Keep it for awhile to see longer term impact.

40. Susan F says:

I signed up for Disqus in order to comment on your blog and one other. Hate it and would prefer it to stay gone, but I’ll still use it here if you decide it’s the easiest on your end.