Disqus sucks, Part 2

So, I turned off Disqus and discovered that the built-in WP comments thing is worthless. And without Disqus filtering spam, we’ve been getting dozens of spam messages per post every day and it was depressing and disappointing. For today’s example, of 15 comments four were actual comments. I tried to turn on Askimet, and it gave me some incomprehensible runaround and ended up asking me to create an entire new site!

Today, I had a go at trying to turn off the ads on Disqus and failed. So I’ve turned it back off again. Tried for an hour, and no dice. My hatred for Disqus is growing into a raging purple passion. I have gone all over looking for instructions on how to turn off the ads but every page I’ve found says the same thing, “go to the Discovery tab”… Well, boys and girls, Disqus must have figured out that everyone hates their ads because there IS NO DISCOVERY TAB. They’ve reconfigured their site to make those instructions useless.

BAD SWEAR!! BADSWEARBADSWEARBADSWEAR!!! BADEFFINGSWEAR!!!

GAH!

Tomorrow I will try to see if there is any other thing we can use. Maybe FB. I dunno.

For now, I am simply going to acknowledge that I do not know how the stupid thing works.

I will now give up, put on a flowery hat and go sit in the garden and aggressively read my book at the innernet.

11 thoughts on “Disqus sucks, Part 2”

1. J says:

I have several plugins in my browser that block everything related to Facebook; I don’t want their spyware in my browser. (AdBlock and Ghostry are wonderful, if anyone’s curious. NoRef if you really want to be particular.)

2. Fatima Catholic says:

I don’t use social media. I like being able to post comments with a pseudonym.

It will be soon considered hate speech to talk about the law of non-contradiction and apply it to religion.

3. Manny says:

No to FB. Bring back Disqus. I don’t recall seeing anything objectionable, but I run ad blockers so I don’t see many ads at all.

Georges.

Hahahah. No.

5. Georges Buscemi says:

The people at the Remnant have been running Disqus for a while, without any ads … I’ve been running it on my site for a couple years now, never had any ads I didn’t want. I volunteer. Give me admin access and I will set you up with functional Disqus or your money back… Plus as a bonus I will get your like buttons to work properly.

6. Faith says:

Please NOT FACEBOOK!! I may be the last person on the planet not on FB. And I will really, really miss you. (Thank God we’ve got you in The Remnant.)

7. Radical Catholic says:

If you’re taking suggestions: Google+. Apparently it can be easily integrated on WordPress blogs:

8. Fuquaysteve says:

A glass of wine…I might suggest.

9. Isabel says:

Honestly, I’ll bet most users don’t care about the ads. They just want to post, and not have hate mail arriving in their personal inboxes.

If looking at an ad is all that it costs, that’s cool with me. Every so often even I find one that is interesting and I go on and look at the website and have even – oh, the horror! – done the capitalist thing of buying the product.

The main problem with Disqus, in my opinion, is that it doesn’t seem to work well with all sites that say they accept it, and often it’s not possible to log in, even if you’re a long time Disqus user. but this may be more of a problem of the administrator than Disqus.

Services have to make money. Life isn’t free, and if selling ads is the way to go, that’s okay with me. I think perhaps site managers should contact Disqus and see of there’s some way they could target their ads – by site – a little better.

10. Michael says:

My software developer son has some suggestions. I can forward his email….

11. CraigV says: