All hands brace for impact!

Look, sometimes you just can’t save the ship. So you concentrate on saving everyone aboard that you can. You keep calm, you count heads and you man the lifeboats. Eventually you have to admit that you’ve done everything you could have done to prevent the disaster and now your job is to survive and help others to survive until the crash part is over.

We (or someone better qualified, thank God) are going to have to sort out the details later.

(And if you think this post was just an excuse to post a video of the Enterprise crashing… you’d be right.)

How do you think the Apostles felt on that night? That terrible, awful night when everything they believed was challenged to the utmost and they had no answers. The only thing they knew was that the man, Jesus, was not as other men, that He was Lord. He had told them what was going to happen and they had resisted and denied and struggled against it, but in the end they could do nothing but watch. There comes a point when you just have to admit that it is out of your hands, and that your duty is to do the task which is placed directly in front of you.

Fortunately that task has been made clear to us and isn’t difficult. It is, after all, the same task it has always been.

Right at this moment the world is not groaning but rejoicing to find itself Bergoglian. Maybe we need to groan on their behalf.

There’s no way I can top this advice:

Saint Athanasius lived in the fourth century during the time of what used to be considered the greatest crisis of faith ever to befall the Catholic Church, the Arian Heresy… The vast majority of Churchmen fell into this heresy, so much so that Saint Jerome wrote of the period, “The whole world groaned and was amazed to find itself Arian”

“May God console you! … What saddens you … is the fact that others have occupied the churches by violence, while during this time you are on the outside. It is a fact that they have the premises – but you have the Apostolic Faith.

They can occupy our churches, but they are outside the true Faith. You remain outside the places of worship, but the Faith dwells within you. Let us consider: what is more important, the place or the Faith? The true Faith, obviously. Who has lost and who has won in the struggle – the one who keeps the premises or the one who keeps the Faith? True, the premises are good when the Apostolic Faith is preached there; they are holy if everything takes place there in a holy way …

You are the ones who are happy; you who remain within the Church by your Faith, who hold firmly to the foundations of the Faith which has come down to you from Apostolic Tradition. And if an execrable jealousy has tried to shake it on a number of occasions, it has not succeeded. They are the ones who have broken away from it in the present crisis. No one, ever, will prevail against your Faith, beloved Brothers. And we believe that God will give us our churches back some day.

“Thus, the more violently they try to occupy the places of worship, the more they separate themselves from the Church. They claim that they represent the Church; but in reality, they are the ones who are expelling themselves from it and going astray. Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ.”

11 thoughts on “All hands brace for impact!”

1. Pingback: Anti-pope Bergoglio? | Trouble and Strife
  2. Trackback: Anti-pope Bergoglio? | Trouble and Strife
  3. Sword of Faith says:

BrainSnob: I was at Our Lady of Sorrows and heard this story in the sermon Sunday. Great example of not seeing the grace of God, even when it’s in front of us. I agree that Archbishop Lefebvre was, indeed, sent by God all those years ago to provide a lifeboat for the faithful. All those in the hierarchy, bishops, priests–even the pope–occupy real estate of the Church, but that’s not where the Church really is today.

4. Bk says:

Did the faithful still attend Mass during the Arian heresy? The NO Religion is just as heretical. SSPX is also aligning themselves with the NO church, so what will happen then? From the account of the Marquis, the woman had kept the true faith without the benefit of attending church because there was not a Catholic Church to attend. We are to do the same in these days.

5. Lisa DeFelice says:

Awesome article! And really enjoyed watching the crashing of the Enterprise! Great illustration for me to remember to keep things in perspective when I teeter on the edge of despair.

6. Eugene says:

Thank you Hilary for sharing the wise words of St. Athanasius, truly applicable to today.
    Thank you BrainSnob for your reflection I am becoming more and more appreciative of the Holy Bishop Lefrebvre and his legacy the SSPX, who in my past ignorance I used to dismiss and disdain. Truly they are part of the faithful remnant.

7. Gary says:

I bookmarked this from a friend’s blog years ago, and have kept it handy when the temptation to lose hope and give up the faith appears:

“In a work by the amiable Mr. Alban Butler, there is the following anecdote: ‘During the civil War, the famous Marquis of Worcester marching once in Cardiganshire, near the ruins of a monastery, at Strata Florida, a woman who was a hundred years old was presented to him, who had remembered the monks in Catholic times, and had lived above three-score years in great regret for the loss of the public service of the altar, and in constant private devotion, without seeing a priest, nor thinking that any could be found in England. The Marquis asked her, ‘When the religion altered, you altered with the religion?’ She answered, ‘No, master, I stayed to see whether or not the people of the new religion would be better than the people of the old; and could see them in nothing, but grow worse and worse, and charity to wax colder and colder, and so I kept me to my old religion, I thank God, and mean, by God’s grace, to live and die in it.’

When the Marquis told her he would take her to Ragland Castle (his seat in Monmouthshire), where she would find a priest, and might hear Mass every day, she was so transported with joy, that she died before the next morning. The Marquis wept when he heard of her death, and said, ‘If this poor soul died where she might have served God, how joyfully will she serve Him in a place where she will never die.’ “

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from Kenelm Henry Digby’s “Morus”, the third volume of his “The Broadstone of Honour or Rules for the Gentlemen of England”, appearing in 1826-7. This text is taken from that portion excerpted in Francis Beauchesne Thornton’s anthology “Return to Tradition”, Bruce Publishing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (1948)

8. Linda says:

When the fall is all there is, it matters. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKGPiecEEbA&autoplay=1

9. BrainSnob says:

God Will Save Me

A terrible storm came into a town and local officials sent out an emergency warning that the riverbanks would soon overflow and flood the nearby homes. They ordered everyone in the town to evacuate immediately.

A faithful Christian man heard the warning and decided to stay, saying to himself, “I will trust God and if I am in danger, then God will send a divine miracle to save me.”

The neighbors came by his house and said to him, “We’re leaving and there is room for you in our car, please come with us!” But the man declined. “I have faith that God will save me.”

As the man stood on his porch watching the water rise up the steps, a man in a canoe paddled by and called to him, “Hurry and come into my canoe, the waters are rising quickly!” But the man again said, “No thanks, God will save me.”

The floodwaters rose higher pouring water into his living room and the man had to retreat to the second floor. A police motorboat came by and saw him at the window. “We will come up and rescue you!” they shouted. But the man refused, waving them off saying, “Use your time to save someone else! I have faith that God will save me!”

The flood waters rose higher and higher and the man had to climb up to his rooftop.

A helicopter spotted him and dropped a rope ladder. A rescue officer came down the ladder and pleaded with the man, “Grab my hand and I will pull you up!” But the man STILL refused, folding his arms tightly to his body. “No thank you! God will save me!”

Shortly after, the house broke up and the floodwaters swept the man away and he drowned.

When in Heaven, the man stood before God and asked, “I put all of my faith in You. Why didn’t You come and save me?”

And God said, “Son, I sent you a warning. I sent you a car. I sent you a canoe. I sent you a motorboat. I sent you a helicopter. What more were you looking for?”

God sent us Archbishop Lefebvre, the Athanasius of our time. The SSPX may remain outside the places of worship, but the Faith dwells within them. Let us consider: what is more important, the place or the Faith? The true Faith, obviously. Who has lost and who has won in the struggle – the one who keeps the premises or the one who keeps the Faith? True, the premises are good when the Apostolic Faith is preached there; they are holy if everything takes place there in a holy way …What more are you looking for?

10. Julie @ Connecticut Catholic Corner says:

Thank you. I needed to read that today (maybe every day while Francis is still pope).

11. aged parent says:

Thank you for that quote from St Athanasius. We all needed it.

12. Ronald Blake says:

A Traditionalist trapped in a Novus Ordo locale, I will keep St. Athanasius’ advice in my heart as I keep the Faith while meeting the requirements of my Sunday obligations.