What you do during a catastrophic earthquake

FNeri

This is from a history of the Oratory of St. Philip Neri (who’s The Boss)

“So, in 1703 a massive earthquake hit Norcia and the Oratory house and church were both destroyed. Then the Fathers who all escaped death, having escaped their ruined house: ‘After clambering over the ruins as well as they could in the dark, they proceeded unhurt to the great Piazza, and there in their slippers and with only a birretta on their heads they were occupied during the whole night in going about, hearing the confessions of those who had escaped from the ruins of their houses, the rain pouring down impetuously the whole time.'”

7 thoughts on “What you do during a catastrophic earthquake”

1. Evangeline10 says:

Martha, if Obama keeps sneaking in Muslims you may find things picking up.

2. louiseyvette says:

I love St Philip Neri

3. James says:

Great anecdote. I confess that since the quake I’ve been voraciously reading about all the devastating tremors to hit Italy in the last few centuries. I especially read about poor l’Aquila, which has been knocked down a good number of times, and which remains largely in ruins after the 2009 tragedy. But as I saw in the city a few days ago, many keep faith in their God and know to consecrate the victims to the maternal embrace of the Our Lady. In the Piazza del Duomo, while the Duomo is covered in scaffolding and remains shut, the city has established a small memorial shrine to the 309 dead. I wept: https://youtu.be/wEqFsQqE54M

4. GW says:

love, Love, LOVE St. Philip Neri. I had the privilege of visiting his body in Rome.

5. Stabat Mater says:

Those were the days…men were men. I can’t even imagine what it must feel like to stand in the presence of such heroic masculinity and completely sacrificial love. That each of us might experience something so sublime just once before we depart from this world…
    St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, ora pro nobis.

6. Martha says:

So cool!!! Well, you know. Such history! Here in the States all I can imagine happening in the place I’m standing is perhaps a bison relieving itself.

7. Josephine of the Holy Cross says:

Thank you for that quote, Hilary! How totally emblematic for our times!

Did you see the photo circulating on the internet of Our Lady’s statue miraculously remaining intact amid the rubble of a church in Arquata del Tronto?

I do not see a link where I can post it here — see if you can find it. It is truly a reminder of what She told us at Fatima: “Only I [the Lady of the Rosary] can help you!”

Blessings to you, my sister! We are praying with you!