7 thoughts on “A little nun-gazing”

1. Martha says:

Wow!!! Thanks for the recipe, Hilary. I was just going to say, chuck some bones in a pot, cover with water, and simmer the living daylights out of it. Your recipe sounds so much better!!! ;). I’m making it as soon as it gets cool.

Food for the soul, food for the body. Find it here, people!

I buy the bones, joint bones are best, at the supermarket here. They’re about 20 cents each. I also save all the bones from any meat-thing I eat in the freezer until it’s time to make a batch. I like to add a pig’s trotter because the connective tissue when it’s boiled down makes good gelatin and had lots of those complex proteins that you want. There is quite a little fad for bone broth right now (though of course, I’ve been making it all my life – my mother taught me) so you can find all manner of information on the innernets about recipes and the nutrition benefits.

My last batch was three veal knuckles; two roasted prime ribs; a pig’s foot (that comes cleaned and sliced lengthwise in half); five small carrots; two sticks of celery with leaves; an onion, cut in half; five cloves of garlic; a handful each of fresh sage, thyme, oregano and mint from the garden; five cloves; a handful of dried orange rind; a handful each of peppercorns, allspice beads and juniper ground up together. All in the 9L pressure cooker. Top up with water and bring up to a boil. Stick the pressure lid on and turn the heat way way down and let it just barely simmer for 8 hours. 8 is the minimum and I only do it so short because of the pressure cooker.

If I were using a regular pot, I’d let it go at least 12 to 24 hours. Some people say you should keep going until the bones are spongy, but I don’t think this is necessary. When it’s done, I separate the bones and veg and discard them except for the carrots, which I pop into the blender and add back in. Strain the whole business twice, once with a collander and then with a strainer. Put it all in a pot an stick it in the fridge. It should gel up pretty well, and have a crust of rendered fat on top. Keep the fat. It’s good for you.

When you drink it, scoop into a bowl or big mug, add salt or a half a soup cube (my favourite is porcini mushroom, but I don’t think you can get them outside Italy) a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, a blob of tomato paste and a splash of port. Nuke for two minutes and drink it up for breakfast every day. It will change your life.

3. Amanda says:

Craig, it’s quite simple, you’ll love it. After cooking some bone in meat, remove the meat and save the bones. Put the bones in a crock pot or stock pot on the stove and cover with fresh water. Some like to add a splash of vinegar and allow it to sit for fifteen minutes (supposedly it gets more minerals out). If a crock pot, set to low and let it go for twelve-twenty four hours. On the stove, bring up to a boil, scrape off any foam that accumulates on top and bring down to a very very low barely there simmer. Again twelve – twenty four hours. In the last hour, add in onion, garlic, celery, carrot – whatever suits you. Or nothing at all is fine, too.
    Let it cool and store in the fridge. Don’t be surprised if it turns into jello – that’s a good sign that there are lots of minerals and gelatin in there.

4. Evangeline10 says:

No wonder the world keeps spinning. I wondered what was keeping God’s hand from smacking us down.

5. Craig says:

Bone broth sounds good but I’m unsure how to make a proper one. You should post some recipes of your favorites.

6. Magdalene says:

Hopefully they will not get suppressed by the present regime in the Vatican!

Lovely and inspiring. You’ve talked about your participation in the Divine Office with the Benedictines. I wonder how many know that lay people actually do participate in the liturgical prayer of the Church by praying the Hours in groups or alone at home – offering to God the very prayers He inspired, that the old testament is full of, and that Our Lord, and everyone faithful to Him prayed for centuries.

Can I recommend a book? “Divine Office”published by Angelus Press. It contains Prime, Sext and Compline for weekdays, with those with Lauds and Vespers added for Sundays. Two of the little hours with night-prayer each day are do-able even for busy people.

There is a terrific introductory chapter, a how-to section, and it includes all the Antiphons, Responses with Collects for each Hour. It uses the Douay and has Latin and English – each Compline has the Gregorian Chant tones as well. This is a great introduction, a traditional one, not just a new book of made-up prayers so common today. We must get back to being liturgical!!!!!!