How many fingers am I holding up now, punk?!

Or maybe you need another little TRIP DOWN THE STAIRS TO CLARIFY YOUR THOUGHTS!

Sneak peek of my latest for One Peter Five:

How many fingers is the pope holding up now?
Amoris Laetitia and submission

We are seeing, increasingly, that in the Church it is Positivism that is the philosophical foundation of the post-conciliar revolution. This is why we who write about this situation have started using the term “Papal Positivism” for the idea that the pope can, through some kind of mystical power granted by his office, decide that it is time to change Eucharistic practice to oppose Eucharistic doctrine.

Moreover, the furious response to the Dubia by many prelates in favour with the pope, with hysterical accusations of “schism” being flung at the four cardinals, shows us where Positivism leads. Amoris Laetitia demonstrates that as a guiding principle, Papal Positivism reduces to an exercise in sheer political power, predicated on an assumption of a pope’s godlike capacity to change, or just ignore, the very nature of reality.

One might say that Amoris Laetitia is the four fingers being held up before the whole Church, with the demand that we all say it is five. The actual content, the actual number of the fingers, is irrelevant. The only thing that counts is our eagerness to submit.

No, I haven’t forgotten about this blog, or quit. But I don’t really quite know how to explain my reluctance to write about it all.

Maybe the quakes have taken some of the fight out of me.

Or maybe it was just Christmas doldrums.

But I’ll be back. Soon. I promise. And not “Soon-soon” but for realsies.

17 thoughts on “How many fingers am I holding up now, punk?!”

1. Gary says:

re: Spadaro’s tweet

Nothing much has changed…the temptation remains.
    “Now the serpent was more subtle than any of the beasts of the earth which the Lord God made. And he said to the woman: Why hath God commanded you, that you should not eat of every tree of paradise?”

2. Rory Donnellan says:

One of the major problems we face today is effeminate Churchmen – not just the limp-wristed lavenderite crowd but also all those mitred cowards too timid to stand up against Pope Francis when it’s required. Effeminacy is well-entrenched in the pews – where impotent metrosexuals lack the required balls to insist on the traditional Latin Mass.

3. James McCoy says:

Dear Father Spadaro:

2 + 2 = Four … Cardinals

4. joel says:

Goooosh, glad you’re back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“Captain Picard says:
    Are you sneaking in a Star Trek Next Gereation analogy?”

I acknowledge that TNG used the analogy.

But I hated TNG, and rarely cite it unless it is to underscore its inherent inferiority to TOS.

6. Gerard Brady says:

Nice to have you back. Hope you are settling in to your new place.

7. Mark Chaplain says:

Bergoglio-Spadaro Through the Looking-Glass with corresponding Humpty-Dumpty theology:

“I don’t know what you mean by ‘glory,’ ” Alice said.
    Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. “Of course you don’t—till I tell you. I meant ‘there’s a nice knock-down argument for you!’ ”
    “But ‘glory’ doesn’t mean ‘a nice knock-down argument’,” Alice objected.
    “When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
    “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
    “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

8. Captain Picard says:

Are you sneaking in a Star Trek Next Gereation analogy?

9. Jeremy says:

Fr. Spadaro, there are four lights.

10. Michael Dowd says:

Everybody needs a break especially those who inspect sewers.

11. Ursula says:

Nice to have you back Hilary. You help keep us sane. Thank you

12. Hrodgar says:

So apparently all theology is Buddhist now? Every proposition is just a Zen Koan, deliberate nonsense to be meditated on until it seems not to be. Reality, even your own existence, is just an illusion, a hiccup in the cosmic order. The path to enlightenment is the path to nonexistence.

Reminds me of this parody from St. Corbinian’s Bear: http://corbiniansbear.blogspot.com/2016/02/dalai-lama-francis-stole-my-role.html

Oh right.

I forgot.

14. louiseyvette says:

“But I don’t really quite know how to explain my reluctance to write about it all.”

Maybe because it sucks?

15. NIdahoCatholic says:

Glad you are back. Missed your biting wit.

16. mark docherty says:

We miss you.

17. Aaron Traas says:

Someone flunked basic logic… ugh. Saying 2+2=5 means changing the definitions 2, +, =, 5 or all of them.

This is truly diabolical. Saying we can divorce theology from logic, reason, sensibility, or common definitions is, frankly, evil. Defining theology thusly means that anyone’s incoherent ramblings about anything vaguely spiritual is just as valid as what the doctors of the Church have written. It’s taking the skeptical left’s assertions of the irrationality of religious believers as the definition of belief. If this is what we as Catholics believe, we deserve to be mocked!