Power in the wrong hands

I remember my mother once commenting that this very famous episode of the Twilight Zone was a perfect illustration of the dangers of giving children power. I suppose that counts for moral children as well. This scene in particular reminds me of what happens when you confront these guys.

Here is my favourite bit from my piece yesterday at OnePeterFive, with another helpful visual aid.

The fact that the new Anti-Rational Paradigm has not yet received proper submission was demonstrated by the pointing and laughing at this absurdity in his Twitter feed. He was rather mercilessly raked over the coals for it.

This manifestly anti-rational statement was taken, quite rightly, as a sign of a half-deranged mind, or of one so intellectually deformed as to be incapable of mature thought, still less of any kind of valuable comment.

Moreover, astounding though it might seem, Spadaro didn’t remove the post in embarrassment, as one would if one had been caught carelessly posting something silly that would hurt one’s cause. Instead he doubled down, trying in further posts to justify and defend this “position”. It was apparent that he saw nothing wrong with it, could not grasp why it had received such a reaction, and learned nothing at all from the many corrections – some apparently not derisive – that he received in response.

When we wouldn’t stop laughing, he responded in the only way a Positivist can: through force. He blocked everyone who had commented. The fact that he thought his post made some kind of sense, was willing to try to defend it, and then responded with force, while being the most hilarious part of the business is also the most telling.

As I’ve been saying, one of the most helpful and fruitful effects of this pontificate has been to reveal the intellectual, doctrinal and formative failings of modern Catholic prelates.

Read the rest.

7 thoughts on “Power in the wrong hands”

1. MaryK says:

Joe, I long ago decided to throw in my towel with the SSPX. Without changing their position at all, they inch closer to ‘full communion’ with Rome. In reality they have never left it. And I have no fear of dropping my dollars in the collection basket, nor in seeing my offspring baptized, confirmed, and married in their churches. Occasionally I feel obliged to attend a local Novus Ordo church for some ceremony, but I am only struck by how far they have veered from Catholicism, and am grateful to have a SSPX church to return to.

2. Caterina says:

Mikhail – I too live in the Archdiocese of Washington. During the annual Cardinal’s Appeal in lieu of homilie, I take out whatever spiritual book I’m reading. I cannot give due to a host of factors including Catholuc Charities. My check goes to help Christian refugees in Irbil.

3. Mikhail says:

I actually did that for the Archdiocese of Washington, DC about two years ago. I got a call from their chief fundraiser. My concern was the Cardinal had his pastors during their homily treat the folks in the pews like robots: “Take the pencil, fill in your name, address, phone #, and email…then fill in your CC #, or place a check for the amount you wish in the left box, then seal the envelope, and give to an usher.” I find this demeaning, coercive, and a host of other things,

We talked for about 20 minutes. Then I was told fundraising has gone up by several millions of dollars a year since this tactic was put in place. I thanked the man, and said goodbye. No point in arguing with the money.

4. Joe says:

Is it immoral to attend a church that supports abortion?

There are Protestant churches, such as some Presbyterian sects and others, that openly have “pro-choice” positions. It would seem that to attend such a “church” would not only be an error, but also immoral.

But then . . . is it also immoral to attend a catholic church that supports abortion?

My catholic parish is required to give some of its money to the bishop, and the bishop gives some of this money to Catholic Relief Services, which has been repeatedly exposed as an abortion supporting charity — maybe not directly, but “indirectly” by giving money to abortion charities and by having members sitting on the boards of pro-choice and pro-gay marriage groups.

I used to think this activity of Catholic Relief Services — which is the official charity of the bishops in the United States — was “merely” the result of certain bad individuals.

But after the recent Presidential election, when my bishop — and most of the bishops in the United States — made it clear that they were supporting the 100 % pro-abortion candidate Hillary Clinton, I came to the conviction that these donations to pro abortion groups aren’t the result of a “few” individuals, but are the result of an institutional decision.

That is, the bishops, by supporting Clinton, show me that they really don’t disapprove of their official charity giving money to pro abortion and pro homosexual marriage causes. And this is why this support hasn’t been stopped.

Now that I know this, I have stopped giving money to the church. My priest confessor has told me that this is permitted, due to this serious concern.

But now I’m thinking: even by attending this church, my mere presence is encouraging others to contribute. My presence is encouraging this evil.

I now believe that the “catholic church” in the United States has been perverted by the State, perverted by government grants and government money, and that to attend this “facade of a church” may be immoral, due to this church’s support of abortion through its official charity.

Am I wrong? Is there some obvious mistake in my thinking?

5. Linda says:

Destroy it! Throw it into the fire!

Because if you keep the Ring of Power for yourself, or what you think is to do good, it will destroy you.

6. Evangeline says:

That article was excellent. What a gift you have Miss White.
    These men are shadows of the men we had in our church in prior times. They aren’t fit to wipe the boots of men like Fr. Patrick Peyton or Archbishop Fulton Sheen. They have neither the brainpower nor the faith for it. They are shams, empty suits, embarrassingly juvenile and almost entirely effeminate.
    But they have ultimate power. They are in the catbird seat. Only their peers can do anything to stop them. They hold all the cards, until the second God says they don’t.

7. Linda says:

That’s all they’ve got.
    The fear of…fear.
    That’s it.
    That’s it?
    People, we have power.
    We have more power than they have.
    And they know it.
    That’s why they rely on making you afraid of them.
    This is psy-ops.
    This is easy. Call them on it.