Fr. Harrison on the Malta apostasy: “Papal Positivism with a vengeance”

Don’t hold back, Father… tell us what you really think

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the inimitable Fr. Brian “the honeybadger” Harrison:

[Douthat wrote that] if Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation on marital love comes to be generally interpreted and applied as liberally as it has been in the Diocese of San Diego, California, it will in effect mean the death of this sacrament as the Gospel of Christ and the Catholic Church have always presented it: a sacred covenant whose indissoluble character means that remarriage after divorce constitutes adultery – a violation of the Sixth Commandment that excludes one from sacramental absolution and Eucharistic communion.

Almost as if to corroborate the accuracy of Douthat’s warning, the two bishops of a Mediterranean island nation have descended like birds of prey to inflict sudden death on Catholic marriage in their jurisdiction. Malta has been famous as a bastion of fervent and orthodox Catholicism almost since St. Paul evangelized it in the first century. No more. For in one fell swoop, Archbishop Charles J. Scicluna of Malta and Bishop Mario Grech of Gozo have avoided superficial flesh wounds and darted straight in for the jugular. They do admittedly try to disguise their death-blow with the standard bland rhetoric about the need for a sincere search for God’s will, serious prayerful discernment, “humility, discretion and love for the Church and her teaching”, etc. But their bottom line is that in Malta there will now be no objective and enforceable limits whatsoever on the right of (non-continent) divorced and civilly remarried Catholics to receive the Holy Eucharist.

Apart from noting two articles of the Catechism of the Catholic Church about factors that can diminish personal culpability for objectively sinful acts, this letter contains no references to any pre-Francis magisterial teaching. So in Malta the year 2017 has started off looking like Orwell’s 1984, wherein inconvenient history simply vanishes down the memory hole. This is papal positivism with a vengeance: the very pontiff who constantly berates traditional Catholics for “seeing everything in black and white” is now being turned into a Superpope whose authority trumps that of all his predecessors if he chooses to call white what they called black.

Read the rest. (Asbestos coveralls optional)

9 thoughts on “Fr. Harrison on the Malta apostasy: “Papal Positivism with a vengeance””

1. nike huarache says:

After I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any manner you may remove me from that service? Thanks!

2. Sheryl says:

Andrew,
    Glory to Jesus Christ!
    I have been a member of the Byzantine Ukrainian Catholic church since my baptism in 1994. I have not noted problems with sodomite clergy such as those found in some Roman Catholic churches, seminaries. The Freemasons do not seem to be as active in Eastern Europe as in France, Italy, etc either. I have been impressed with our current Patriarch Sviatoslav who is relatively young. I have heard rumor (which I cannot verify) that his name was one those who signed the dubia non-publicly. He has just had a new Byzantine catechism published in English, and I am trying to read it but it’s going to take awhile. Down sides of the Eastern rites can include division along national and ethnic lines, division over language in the liturgy (Church Slavonic vs vernacular vs combination) and sometimes an older median age in congregation with less children. When I started there were very few children in our parish but that has changed for the better. We also have many Hispanic families, and many of the older, Ukrainian founders have gone to their eternal rest, so the parish composition is different than 22 years ago.

3. Asbury Fox says:

That’s great stuff from Fr. Harrison. I hope he has come to the light. I remember a couple of years ago he trying to square the religious liberty of Dignitatis Humanae with Tradition. The same rot that began with Dignitatis Humanae and the other Vatican II documents has culminated with a vengeance in Amoris Laetitia.

4. Gary says:

At some point I can imagine faithful priests being called on the carpet by bishops who receive complaints from divorced and remarried parishioners about said priests’ ‘lack’ of MERCY towards them in the confessional. “Father told me I couldn’t go to Communion when the Pope said I could!!” We’ll have the sanctity of Confession completely trashed if bishops punish faithful priests who refuse to go along with the new Amoris regime.

5. thetimman says:

Fr. Harrison– great priest, right here in the ‘Lou.

6. Ademar says:

J.M.J.

It’s the 100th anniversary of Our Lady’s six apparitions in Fatima and Her announced-in-advance Miracle of The Sun (which was actually accompanied by a second miracle: the drying of rain-soaked clothes and muddy ground!).

The remnant Church may have to go underground, but it will be in a year of dramatic events! Our Lord gave His Mother great power over the devil in our day. Let us intensify our prayer lives, making Her an important part of them!

Our Lady of Fatima ora pro nobis!!

7. Andrew Dunn says:

Does anyone know if the Byzantine Catholic Church (aka. Eastern Rite Catholic [not Eastern Orthodox]) has the same issues with sodomites, freemasons and other degenerates infiltrating and undermining the Church? I’m a TLM traditional Catholic and am looking at options for when the big crackdown from Bergoglio and company come. I’ve attended a couple Ukrainian Catholic Churches here in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and have enjoyed the Divine Liturgy – there is much however I need to learn. Thanks for anyone who can advise.

8. Linda says:

And honeybadger don’t care.
    Be prepared to take faithful priests into your homes when they’re thrown out of their situations for being priests faithful to Holy Church.
    Mass the dining room at 6.
    Be there.

9. Linda says:

And you post THE scene from Aliens.
    That look on her face. That cock of her head.
    The intent was to just escape.
    But, no.
    Why should the enemy get away without a response in kind? Why should her evil progeny hatch?
    Screw that.