What about the Knights of Malta?

What about them?

Why should I or anyone defend people who are unwilling to defend themselves or their own interests or the interests of the Church?

I have it from a good source that at exactly the same moment the enemies of the Faith were conspiring with the Supreme Pontiff and the Secretary of State to destroy the order of which he was a head, Fra. Matthew, a good and decent man, went shooting.

His passion for sport shooting is well known.

Nothing he likes better than a nice stomp around the countryside.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

10 thoughts on “What about the Knights of Malta?”

1. James McCoy says:

Yes, Georg E, I agree w Hil! Pope Francis as the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is a metaphor of biblical proportions.

2. louiseyvette says:

Hilary, this is just my view on the current state of things. You might like it. (or not).

3. Michael Dowd says:

What is so breathtaking about all of this is how little blow-back PF gets from his troops. He can get away with anything as long as he doesn’t put them on the spot by changing the wording of Catholic Doctrine. But since he has gone this far without much of a challenge he will surely go to the next step and change doctrine itself. The time for divine intervention is now. The present situation calls out pleadingly for a reckoning. Our Lady of Fatima save the Church.

4. Maureen says:

Here is the New York Times link — there were other features from Reuters and the AP – but this one is from the Times itself

Ten Centuries Later, a Pope and Knights Do Battle https://nyti.ms/2jIwPjv

5. Maureen says:

The New York Times has an article about the Knights yesterday. You can probably get it on their website today. I will post a link

This is one of the best descriptions of this pope I’ve come across yet. I’ll pass this along to some of the photoshoppers I know as a suggestion. The image of the Staypuft pope and his insane grin will now haunt my dreams.

7. Evangeline says:

Let some facts arise which prove we critics wrong, it is always a risk to speculate on meetings we didn’t attend, but, facts do indicate that it went down as one could expect. The despot gets his way once again, pushing our faces in the mud once more. We can no longer stand around and peer out at the darkness, looking for that rider on the horse, to rescue us. If I hear hoofbeats I’m going to assume it’s the Four Horsemen.

8. Georg E says:

What’s especially depressing is how hamfisted this all is. No subtlety, no elegance. Not even plausible deniability. The tin pot dictator from Buenos Aires stomps around like he’s the Stay Puft marshmallow man, smiling while the faithful scurry for cover like rats. The abuse of power is so breathtaking I can barely believe it even though I see it with my own eyes.

9. Isabel says:

I have been praying for them all day, even though I was pretty sure they would capitulate. They could have saved the Church and what little remains of Christendom, but, poor fools that they were, they just wanted to be nice and polite and lick the toes of the dictator.

They could have opposed him – and he would have backed down. Franco was the only ruler who opposed Hitler (after the unannounced bombing of Guernica by Hitler’s air force) and Hitler backed down and Franco survived, taking in more Jews than any other country including the US. This was even though the US hated him because he opposed the Communists. And Spain, even though it got little support from the US after the war, survived and made it to the modern economy. Their biggest problem then and now is the radical left – which was and is stoked by forces in the US and Northern Europe .

That said, I am very unhappy today, even though I had small hope that Malta would save us again.

10. Eejay says:

Agreed. Totally. Just strange how they were telling PF to mind his own business one week and now capitulate the next. What happened?