It’s almost like they found a friend

Well, I’m off to Norcia for a couple of days tomorrow morning. It seems I have to look for a new house. It’s all very complicated and has to do with the impenetrable masses of Italian bureaucracy surrounding the earthquakes.

Never mind, my realtor Luca said, we’ll just ignore it all and find you a nice new house. A “more comfortable” one, he said. With a better kitchen. I’ve asked him if we can please look for a place up a bit closer to the monks’ new place so it won’t be that miserable 90 minute hike up the hill for Mass.

But of course, with 70% of the “housing stock” rendered “inagibile” by the quakes, we might not have too many choices. We’ll see. I’ve put in a request with St. Philip Neri, my go-to guy whenever life is presenting me with a big cross-roads: “Which way now, Philip?” He’s always got a good answer, but it’s never the one you imagine. Or could imagine. He’s in heaven now, but lost none of his sense of humour, that one.

There’s something funny about the coverage (in English) about Bergoglio’s alleged involvement in the Dirty War in Argentina while he was head of the Jesuits there. There’s plenty in Spanish and it’s still being talked about. But of course, the English language media didn’t bother its collective head about the 40 year old Argentinian history until the election to the papacy of the Cardinal Archbishop of Buenos Aires. Then there was a brief flurry.

A very, very, very brief flurry.

In fact, most of the MSM stuff I can find about it dates to no later than a few days or at most a couple of months after the election, and then…

Poof! It all just wafted away like it had never happened.

I can’t imagine why.

This was the latest one I could find, by John Allen for NCR, in April, 2013: “Who Francis may be based on who Bergoglio was.”

This from Gawker was March 15th: The Priest Kidnapped Under Bergoglio in Argentina Has Given the Strangest Statement About the Incident

John Lee Anderson was hot off the mark for the New Yorker, putting out a piece late the same night: Pope Francis and the Dirty War

Thomas Reese, SJ (more commonly at America) gave us “Francis, the Jesuits and the Dirty War” at NCR.

Oo look! I found one from 2015… Looks like someone didn’t get the “he’s one of us” memo: “Was Pope Francis silent during Argentina’s Dirty war?

Awkward!

It seems it was just a kind of knee-jerk reflex – a sort of habit – to find some mud to sling at the pope to discredit the Church of which he is the head. But of course, this was mostly at the stage when the media was still calling him a “conservative” on the usual subjects.

How quickly that tone changed, eh?

They’ve been a little more, ahem… probing in the Spanish language media on his handling of priestly sexual predators:

On the attitude of the Cardinal of Buenos Aires regarding the situation of Grassi [Father Julio César Grassi was convicted of repeated sexual abuse and aggravated corruption of minors], Gallego says that he met with Bergoglio before the beginning of the trial and that “in that meeting, which was very formal and brief, as in successive conversations with emissaries of the Archbishopric, His position was cautious and respectful.

Now, looking at the books he commissioned on Grassi, I have to think that he had a double game or that he changed his position. For it is clear that there is an attempt to influence Justice to favor his situation or to reverse His sentence“. NEWS contacted Bergoglio’s spokesman, but he declined to give details on the work entrusted to Sancinetti and derived the consultation to the CEA.

The attitude of the Cardinal of Buenos Aires seems to go against the position of the Church worldwide, with the increasing admission of cases of sexual abuse by priests and their public condemnation.In this sense, a high official of the national government who has relations with the ecclesiastical authorities, warned that “the leadership of the Church always had an attitude of covering the facts of dishonest abuse and pedophilia by Catholic priests.”

While Benedict XVI dismissed priests of Ireland and the United States accused of these crimes, there was no public condemnation here of the most emblematic cases such as Grassi or (Edgardo) Storni, “the bishop of Santa Fe also convicted of dishonest abuse.

See y’all in a couple of days.

11 thoughts on “It’s almost like they found a friend”

1. louiseyvette says:

“Anyway, I’ve got quite a little roster of articles to work on in the evenings with the agritourismo’s wifi, including a nice one about the life and work of the former Grand Master of the Knights of Malta, who really does seem like a sterling chap in real life.

I’m also gathering more interesting stuff on the background of a certain person, which keeps getting more and more interesting.”

(Sort of) looking forward to it…

2. Liam Ronan says:

Emerged from the depths with no personal history that can be nailed down, eh? Eeriely like Obama, no?

3. Tiger184 says:

Here’s to you finding your perfect home! Stay safe – still keeping all of you in my prayers.
    As for the research, some days I just shake my head in disbelief thinking ‘how much worse can it get?’ Guess we will find out soon enough.
    Cheers!

4. J says:

Of course….

And unrelated but FYI: the security certificate on this site is expired. Not a big deal, but Chrome keeps trying to stop me from coming here because it’s “not safe” =-p

5. W. F. says:

Hilary, concerning father Grassi, it is more complicated than what it seems. I was in Argentina when it happened. I ignore Bergoglio’s role in there… but you have to consider Grassi’s closeness to tv star Susana Gimenez and her husband at the time (her entourage was financing his project with what it seemed to be a telephonic scam, they split and then he “suddenly” got accused of child abuse and malversation). The TV chain “13” was the one who did the research. What has to do Carlotto in this story? He was a very well known priest and a lot of famous people would give their support to his charity. It was said that someone wanted to take upon it because of the money and came accross with this accusation.

Is that true? I don’t know. Did he do all what he is accused of? I cannot tell either. As many people in Argentina say, I wouldn’t put myself on the line for Grassi nor for the Argentinian Justice. Don’t forget Argentina is not a normal country where justice operates with more or less independence. It is a Banana Republic.

Maybe this article can help you. Read the last comment (27 de agosto de 2014, 14:02)

6. Andrew Dunn says:

As if the lightning strikes on St. Peter’s wasn’t enough of a warning, I knew that we were in trouble when the English media here in the U.S. IMMEDIATELY gushed over Bergoglio when he came out on tht balcony. All this love from the same media that has a viscous hatred for the Catholic Church, rivaling the freemasons. The same media that ran wild with conspiracy theories that Pope Benedict was a not so closet nazi during the Second World War. The same media that ridiculed Pope John Paul II as a senile old man. No surprises at all that the same media is not probing into Bergoglio’s past. And as a side note, we sure aren’t hearing about sex abuse like we were all throughout Pope Benedict’s time on the Chair of St. Peter. No, that all mysteriously stopped when that blaspheming heretic walked out on the balcony.

7. Fuquaysteve says:

How did he pass Theology 101?

This problem has been popping up on blogs and sites all over the place. Ignore it.

9. Note says:

“… in that meeting, which was very formal and brief, as in successive conversations with emissaries of the Archbishopric, His position was cautious and respectful. ” / “I have to think that he had a double game…”

Now look at LifeSiteNews interview to Cardinal Zen:

[Zen met with Pope Francis two years ago.
    “He listened to me very carefully for 40 minutes,” said Zen. “He seemed to be very much agreeing with me. So I don’t know what is going to happen.”
    He said he’s written the pontiff “many letters…But then he doesn’t answer my letters.”]

10. Evangeline says:

How can the media condemn what it champions? It has become very uncomfortable for the media, no doubt. How do they criticize the diddling of boys and young men, while they full well realize that pederasty is part and parcel of homosexuality? Oh my, what a conundrum for them, especially now that the next group of perverts slithering out from under the rocks are NAMBLA types, the ones who believe a man sexually molesting a little boy or young man is “love” and hey, does the boy good! So this has become a challenge. We will be hearing more about this.
    Nothing would surprise me any more, about this church, the Cardinals, bishops, pope. Nothing. I could not have a lower opinion than I do right at this moment, I don’t think.
    In my opinion we all need to come to some kind of terms with reality. While we are not responsible for one incident of a boy or young man being sexually assaulted by Catholic priests, we are not entirely innocent in it either. We have known for some time that we have a population of homosexuals in the priesthood, and now we know, acting as Bishops and/or Cardinals. Let’s be frank, the church has certainly taken a lackadaisical approach toward that problem, if you can even call it that. Now this pope is actually, astoundingly, reinstating them?? Men who were laicized for wrecking young lives?
    To do that condones the rape of boys and young men. It gives a stamp of approval from the Chair of Peter.
    Keep digging Hillary. God bless you in your efforts to locate a good and safe home, and your work.

11. GracieLou says:

“We all need to come to some kind of terms with reality.” So true Evangeline. I’m getting real tired of the denial. People are waking up, which is good of course, but then they’re stumbling around like virgins out of lamp oil , “Surely he’s: misquoted, stupid, misinformed, senile, ill advised? Or surely it’s about money, politics and/or fame?” Or surely it’s not that big a problem, just ignore him, and let us be NICE, let us always be NICE. Always looking for material explanations and solutions for spiritual things, which is part of the sickness, part of the apostasy.

We don’t have time for this. A spade is a spade. Evil is evil. Get out the holy water, drive a stake through it.