The ancient Faith: not as dead as old Miraz the Usurper would like to believe

The annual Good Friday procession of the dead Christ in Norcia, past our broken walls, given a special significance this year.

(Pics thanks to Emanuele Persiani at ABC Online)

Santissima Trinita dei Pellegrini, Rome parish of the FSSP

On Holy Thursday, it is the custom in Rome to visit the “Sepolcri,” the altars of repose, set up with special care and magnificence in most of the churches in the centro storico. I made the rounds one year and it is a wonderful, rather mysterious, experience. The altars are kept up until Holy Saturday in a long vigil, and people make visits throughout that time.

More photos of Rome’s Sacrament Altars here.

Blessed Easter to all our friends, our readers and all who have contacted me in the last few years. Keep the Faith. It’s the only thing that matters now.

8 thoughts on “The ancient Faith: not as dead as old Miraz the Usurper would like to believe”

I talked a lot about this on FB yesterday. 1st, the news Rorate is going with is actually olds. I read it months ago. 2nd, there is a big difference in the way things are done in Italy. Bishops don’t have the power to wreckovate historic buildings. Churches in Italy belong to the Italian state, and are managed by a government office called the Beni Culturali. 3rd, the Norcia basilica is a historic monument of international significance. The chances that Norcia (where the bishop is not well loved.. ahem… to put it mildly) the Umbrian regional government, the Italian state and the European Union would agree to build some modernist monstrosity are slim to none. Which is probably why Bishop Skinny McNarcisspants worded it so carefully as a suggestion.

Get upset about things that are actually happening right now. There’s plenny.

2. Fuquaysteve says:

I wonder if you have seen this bit of rubbish….

3. Pingback: Canon212 Update: Easter Monday FrancisBlues? – The Stumbling Block
  4. Trackback: Canon212 Update: Easter Monday FrancisBlues? – The Stumbling Block
  5. Evangeline says:

So uplifting and somber at the same time. It strikes me that it can’t be overstated how important it is for men to be involved in such activities as processions, really any devotions. As a woman, it is comforting to see men involved, and I believe that the faith is hard to pass along if men do not stay involved. We need them. Children need to see them involved in their faith, need to hear them.
    There is something about the masculine presence, it can’t be duplicated or replaced. Men, please stay involved.
    Happy Easter Hillary and all! I hope Hillary, you are beginning to feel settled in your new home. Post photos when you can?

6. Ursula says:

Thank you Hilary, for the good wishes and for all you’ve done for us these last few years. A happy and blessed Easter to you.

7. desales says:

Thank you for the very moving video. I’ve just returned from our celebration of that most beautiful of liturgies – the Easter Vigil Mass – the last 2/3rds of which I felt was desecrated by hymns of a secular syrupy sort. It was probably just that I was tired but I could barely cope with it, it seemed so diabolically out of place.

8. louiseyvette says:

Beautiful, Hilary, and a fantastic title for your blogpost.

Happy Easter! God bless you.

9. Michael Dowd says:

Hilary please note. Perhaps you haven’t seen this. Letter #13 Holy Saturday. Dr. Robert Moynihan [MoynihanReport@gmail.com]